Page 1 of 2

6.5V preouts cause problems for some amps?

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:52 pm
by muddybear
I was planing to pick up a Premier 860mp which has 6.5V preouts. And I was thinking about getting a JL 1000/1 or a Phoenix Gold Xenon X1200.1. how do I know if they amps will work well being powered by 6.5V preouts. I've heard that can be bad. Are there any Amps you would recomend?

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:49 pm
by William from NOLA
I know that the JL will handle that with no problem. You'd have to look at the PG's specs and see what its maximum input voltage (on the RCA's) is.

To feed the amplifier the highest it can handle is ideal. The JL goes up to 8 volts.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:41 am
by sust man
I own a x600.1 and an x100.4 with that same headunit. The gains are turned up about half way, and I still dont get distortion at max volume. I believe the gains go from .2v to 8v.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:44 am
by sust man
By the way, go with the Phoenix Gold. The JL is good, but not any better than the PG which costs a lot less. About $250 less at sonicelectronix. If you think you will get an extra 250 dollars worth of sound from the JL, you are nuts. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2749.html.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:29 pm
by Justin from Detroit1
sust man wrote:By the way, go with the Phoenix Gold. The JL is good, but not any better than the PG which costs a lot less. About $250 less at sonicelectronix. If you think you will get an extra 250 dollars worth of sound from the JL, you are nuts. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2749.html.
Wow, umm...no? i wouldn't even almost put PG on the same level as JL.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:03 pm
by sust man
Justin from Detroit wrote:Wow, umm...no? i wouldn't even almost put PG on the same level as JL.
Were not comparing Boss to JL, were comparing two very good quality amplifiers. My whole point was, if there is much difference between the two, it sure as hell isnt worth an extra 30% in price. If your goal is to have the absolute best money-is-no-object stereo system, then buy the JL. The new Chevy Corvette beat the new 911 in a comparison test done by Motor Trend recently. Why is this relevant? Same idea - neither one can outperform the other by much, so it may not be worth the extra $30,000 for the "Porsche" nameplate to most people.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:15 pm
by kevinberry1
Your analogy of the Porshe and Corvette may have more merrit if the newer Corvette wasn't better than the older models :)

My point is that PG doesn't produce the quality of amplifiers that they did in the mid 90's, so the JL is really in a higher class.

For the record, I would go with the PG as well because I can't see spending that much more, but if money were no object I would get the JL. It becomes a matter of balancing preferences with finances :bigwink:

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:49 am
by sust man
If you think the Xenon amps are not as good as the old ones, check out this thread. http://soundoff.phoenixgold.com/viewtop ... 0+4+review

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:46 pm
by muddybear
thats a great review

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:30 pm
by Renegadesrun
From a board with its head up PG's bum, but yea, great review.