Page 1 of 2

CD service

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:19 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
Does anyone know of a reliable CD scratch remover service?

All my old CDs are about dead/scratched up. I want to send them all out at once to get fixed.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:20 pm
by William from NOLA
Sadly, you probably won't be able to fix them. Your best bet is to save what you've got by copying them to new discs before they get worse.

I wonder if the record companies would replace your disc if you sent them one that was all scratched up. That would be cool.


Also, those CD spin doctor things (hand crank things) DO NOT WORK AT ALL. So don't go for those :)

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:23 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
I know I seen a service awhile back, ran like $1.25 a CD.

They just have some machine that polishes the plastic out.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:03 am
by William from NOLA
I found two videos, you could try them:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/770761/re ... cceeds_to/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/748070/ho ... _a_banana/


The first one seems like it would work over the 2nd

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:15 pm
by solacedagony
I remember reading somewhere that you could use extremely fine sandpaper, like 2000, 4000, 8000, 16000 grit. The higher ones are almost like sheets of paper or even felt.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:31 pm
by lotas
toothpaste?

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:27 am
by jonnyb
i use this
it works pretty good for me.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:58 am
by scotts1000rr
jonnyb wrote:i use this
it works pretty good for me.
it looks like a sausage grinder

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:59 am
by cargodz
jonnyb wrote:i use this
it works pretty good for me.
They have/ use the automatic version of that at the local video store.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:20 am
by joeyc
The hand crank things DO WORK! They just will not fix big scratches. I do know that you can go to almost ANY video game store and they have big fancy disc repair machines there. I would check those out.