Page 1 of 9

great! now my headunit is broken!

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:13 pm
by brisgreat1
I decided to mess around with my head unit a little bit and switch it from standard mode to network mode. Basically network mode has a higher capacity for sound quality, it's like a mini built in crossover ( oh yeah i have the pioneer deh-p880prs ). I switched the modes and hit the reset button as instructed to do through the manual, and now my head unit wont even turn on. The head unit is getting no power... so I changed it back to standard and tried, I messed around with the reset button dozens of times and still no power to my head unit. I'm afraid I might've damage my microprocessor or something, since thats what the 'reset' button resets. I have my RCA harness hooked up, wiring harness and antenna to the rear... I'm clueless about whats wrong now. Anyone have any experience with this head unit and (hopefully) this situation?

I hate to keep bugging you guys for advice and help, but I feel like the only thing I can think of to try next is to call pioneer and send the head unit in for repairs or inspection or something. You guys are my last resort!! Thanks again to anyone who takes their time to help.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:17 pm
by solacedagony
Did you switch it while you had power running to it? Might have shorted it like that.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:39 pm
by scotts1000rr
did the reset button stick?

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:10 pm
by Chris from Washington
have you checked all the fuses, just to make sure it's actually getting power to the head unit? check the ground too.

If yes, I would then unhook the speakers, remote and RCA's, and see if that makes any difference.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:22 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
I would remove power from the unit, let it sit for 15 minutes then hook it back up.

Manual reset :p

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:34 pm
by cargodz
^ Try checking all of the above... And if it's still no go, then you're probably better off sending it to Pioneer

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:12 pm
by brisgreat1
I turned my car off when I switched it and I let the unit sit for like 30 minutes-ish. I didn't try the other things though so I'm gonna give them a shot first thing tmrw. Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys, I'll let you know how this one turns out... *crossing my fingers*

I'm going to try unhooking the power wire, letting it sit for awhile then reconnecting.. if no dice then ill try unhooking speakers, rca and remote to see if I'm getting power then. I just need to figure out what the problem is since I know if I know the problem I can probably fix it or learn how to through you guys. Just hope the unit is damaged or broken :( !

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:23 pm
by brisgreat1
I never grounded my head unit... when I first got it I was a complete audio novice way over my head and my friend rigged it for 20$, although it was a very 'ghetto' rig. Anyways I thought about grounding it over the past 2-3 months but figured if it had gone this long it didnt need to be grounded then. Could that have anything to do with the problem? Maybe when I tried switching modes the ground wire went active and couldve possibly shorted or something? I just wired both my grounds together, or my friend did. In STD mode this was never a problem, but maybe swtiching to NW mode requires a ground? Or maybe I'm just blowing it out of proportion and my power is my problem since my head unit receives no power atm.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:40 pm
by William from NOLA
brisgreat1 wrote: In STD mode...
Ah, found your problem



:thumbsup j/k

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:28 am
by solacedagony
brisgreat1 wrote:I just wired both my grounds together, or my friend did. In STD mode this was never a problem, but maybe swtiching to NW mode requires a ground? Or maybe I'm just blowing it out of proportion and my power is my problem since my head unit receives no power atm.
If you didn't have a ground, your HU wouldn't be getting power :) I have the 880 in NW mode and I'm using the provided power and ground wires on the harness.
All the switch from STD to NW mode does is allow you to use the active crossover, T/A, etc.