Page 1 of 2

thinking about this for the Camaro

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:49 pm
by Chris from Washington
Been thinking about the car, and trying to think of things that would look good once it's all done.

One idea I had, was to shave off the antenna and have it be all smooth on the fender, then near the rear hatch install one of those fin antennas, like you see on the BMW's, and Acuras.

Does anyone know if those would work on a aftermarket deck, do they have a standard plug? Or do they only work with BMW, Acura stereos?

Anyone know where to get them???

I think it would look nice to not have that stupid antenna on the front fender.

Thanks

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:19 pm
by William from NOLA
It should be just the standard recepticle. I would go for it.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:40 pm
by cargodz
The BMWs use either the Motorola style mini male or female antenna adapter ;)

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:30 am
by Chris from Washington
anyone know any online places to get them?

I like to see some better pictures of them. I think I like the BMW one better then the Acura's but would like to see some more pics. They make adapters that would make the BMW work with a standard plug don't they?

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:57 am
by Ryan from Ohio
E Bay has them.

There are two styles I see. One is standard one is mini. The standard needs a curved surface. The mini I think can be flat. Both are powered and amplified.

Both use standard plugs.

Then you have the sat ready ones also, in the sam styles.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:59 am
by Chris from Washington
How are you searching for them on Ebay?

I tried and kept finding 'fake' fins (lol) no drilling required :-/

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:52 am
by cargodz
Chris from Washington wrote:They make adapters that would make the BMW work with a standard plug don't they?
That's how I knew what styles the BMWs have... I've done a couple installs of H/Us on them ;)

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:13 pm
by Chris from Washington
[quote="cargodz"]That's how I knew what styles the BMWs have... I've done a couple installs of H/Us on them ]

Cool :)
I found one on Ebay (looks like an 3rd party thing)
Just wondering the quality of them tho.

I was hoping to find a real ones on there, but so far nothing.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:38 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
http://cgi.ebay.com/Functional-Powered- ... dZViewItem

Thats the one I was looking at for the Alero.

Im just turned off about drilling a hood through the roof of my car. Especially if the reception with this sucks the big one!

I got an Metra amplified antenna from best Buy. $25 deal. It sucks so bad I unhooked it...

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:47 pm
by Chris from Washington
Yep that's the one I found too.

Ya don't like the idea of drilling a hole, unless I know for sure it's going to work. That's why I was hoping to find a factory one from a BMW or Acura (anyone else use them?)