Page 1 of 1

That was close

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:44 pm
by JeremyC
Since I am getting deployed in a few months I decided to get my car inspected early. So I roll up to the shop, the german guys come out, about run into a wall testing the brakes (didn't expect the throttle to kick in like it did), Climb all over / under my car, check the shocks, tires, exhaust, lights, steering and so on. Needless to say they are pretty damn picky.

So they sign me off, I go to the cop shack, start talking to the guy and he hooks me up on my tags. He predates them to the day my current tags expire, and signs me off for two years, instead of one.

So I go to work with a big smile on my face, cause I won't have to get my car inspected for the rest of the time I am here.

Well today the base news paper comes out with an article with all the new vehicle inspection rules that started this week. Most of them don't really matter to me, but the ones that do...............

1 No window tint on your drivers, passenger, or front window.
Not to bad, but I would have hated pulling off my tint.

2 No lowering.
Hmmmm, I have coil overs, so I could have raised the car back up
some, but its also lowered from factory, so there’s NO WAY I could
get it to the regular accord height.

3 No exhaust thats above 90db.

4 No stereos that can be heard 10 feet outside the car with the windows up.
Yeah thats the one that scares me. 10 feet, come on, most stock
stereos can be heard 10 feet away.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:49 pm
by cargodz
Heck Most Germans can be heard over 10 feet away from the car (that or I'm just loud) :p lol
Yeah I admit that was pretty close... and definately woulda sucked.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:50 pm
by nd4spd18
Damn that gaaaaay...........

my truck would fail number 1 3 and 4

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:00 pm
by Imoapie
Jeremy look at it this way, at least you can drive as fast as you want. Wo in deutschland bist du?

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:03 pm
by JeremyC
I'm about 15 min away from trier, and about 2 hours from frankfurt.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:16 pm
by Imoapie
Thats pretty cool, I was born right across the border in Poland and my grandma lives in Giessen which is about 40 min North of Frankfurt.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:29 pm
by JeremyC
Yeah I have been here 2 years and have 2 to go. Kinda scared to move back and start driving in the states. No more running 110 / 120 on the highway, and 80 on most other roads.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:38 am
by GlassWolf
the lowering rule isn't for a coilover so much as to prevent the ghetto way of jsut cutting springs and having mad bump steer as a result since you'd throw the geometry totally out of whack. When it's done properly, it's not an issue.
window tint? disable your window motors and leave the glass down. problem solved.
stereo? take off the face plate. tell them to f*ck right off if they comment on the system. To this date there are NO laws against having a loud stereo. Just against how loud it is in certain areas, WHEN in use. That's like citing someone for their thoughts or intentions. Neither can be proven.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:11 pm
by Robert Wollenberg
Where are you deploying to? I was in Giessen. I've got some crazy stories from when I was there during Reforger 1993 I think. Maybe 1992. Man I miss Germany. I think I'm going to take my wife there for a couple weeks when I get back from Afghanistan.