Page 1 of 1

Tinkering

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:13 pm
by geoffwhite18
I've been tinkering a little with my box. It's internal dimentions are 36.75/12/15 with 2 12" Lightening Audio subs in it which comes out to about 1.91 cf per speaker. They are on seperate amps and I was having a problem with the speakers interfearing with eachother so I put a devider in the middle to seperate them which dropped the internal dimentions for each speaker to 1.875 cf. I noticed a pretty big performance drop in how hard the system hit. Even though it did sound a lot better since the speakers wern't fighting eachother. I decided to flip the speakers around with the magnets out and holy cow! With the negetave volume inside the speaker cone I should be about 2 cf per speaker and it made a pretty big difference. The bass is much clearer and deeper. NE way just thought I'd share!

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:40 pm
by subster87
you said your subs were fighting each other to start with? so if they are fightin that means one is wired backwards. if you hook up a small drill battery to your two subs if they move in opposite directions you have to fix your wiring im thinking thats the cause when all in the same enclosure. Yeah small wattage subs i think see a big performance increase when you play with the box size. Audible difference anyway.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:44 pm
by Scarrell
that, and the gains are each amp need to match each other..

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:58 pm
by subster87
good call forgot about seperate amps... good idea with to put the barrier in between them save you alot of hassle....

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:14 am
by geoffwhite18
They are wired the same. It's just the two amps. they are the same model number with the same specs, but one is a little different than the other.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:48 am
by brtnboarder3241
how so?

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:40 pm
by geoffwhite18
The internal circuit boards are different, and one has phillips clamp things for the power and speaker hookups where the other one has the allen screw down thingys which are much better I feel!

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:15 pm
by solacedagony
As long as the gains are set equally, you should be fine. If you've got the subs wired out of phase, I think they'll move, but you won't hear much sound. You can try flipping the wires going to ONE sub and see if it helps.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:17 pm
by geoffwhite18
The subs are wired the same. I think it's a difference in the circuit board and it's components.