Page 1 of 4
Sub choices-seeking opinions
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:11 pm
by Kid Red
Hey, I'm looking to get a 10" sub, in a sealed 1 cu ft enclosure but I'm stuck on what to get. Current amp is a 4 channel Alpine but depending on the sub I get I will maybe get a mono amp to match. Budget is $100-$175 or so.
Choices are:
TC-1000
Diamond Audio D1
Memphis M-something 10"
Eclipse SW6000
I'm looking around the 200-300rms area and SQ is my biggest goal. That being said, reproducing the lows is part of my SQ definition. More than likely I will be building my own box, either MDF or FG.
Any thoughts on my choices, preferences, opinions and maybe something that I can get easily online that I should look into?
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:25 pm
by swimmerdude
You have some good choices there, for sure. Some subs that i have had experience with that i think that will suit you very well are an Arc Audio ARC series sub and Elevation Comps. The Arc's are just flat out sq subs. It sounds pretty amazing and it does have some decent output on it for a 10" and it is only powered with like 150watts. The Comps will get a little more louder for sure, but with a bit less sq. But i think if you arent an sq competitor, you wont notice a difference.
I know TC sounds sub are real good for the money and Eclipse has some pretty good sq subs too(which, tc sounds makes eclipse subs). I wouldn't really know anything about that diamond or the memphis.... havent every really looked at them, heard em, or talked about them with people.
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:09 pm
by Kid Red
Yes, I know TC makes the Eclipse, (and a few others I read). The Eclipse is cheaper but the TC just looks sexy and the outer ring hides the screw holes which I thought was a nice touch. Diamond and Memphis I've read about, and they are both rated as 'highly recommended' here in the FAQ and both are available locally.
THe ARC was nice, but I can't find a way to buy them. The Elevation was nice but it seems to need a fairly larger enclosure then the other choices.
Still not sure what to get, the Diamond and Memphis are cheaper followed by the Eclipse then most expensive TC.
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:24 pm
by OnYrMrk
Memphis doesn't really make a SQ sub, and the Diamond is their lowest line, comparable to the JL 10w1. I would go with the Eclipse. For what they are, you can't really beat them for the price.
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:48 am
by swimmerdude
The Arc stuff you can get direct from the comany. Just email them from the email you can find from their site about their products.
Elevation also has a new concert series sub that they will be making. It is going to be a sq oriented sub. It isnt on their site yet, so email Joe(the owner) about it and he will gladly share info to you about them. Or you can talk to him about the comp being in smaller sealed boxes because i think the 10" comp will be fine in a 1.0 cubic foot box.
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:58 am
by Bwcad1
hell the pro would be fine in a 1cf sealed box.
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:11 am
by swimmerdude
Bwcad1 wrote:hell the pro would be fine in a 1cf sealed box.
I think that is a lil bit out of his price range

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:17 am
by Kid Red
Well price and wattage. It's a family mini van so space and fun is limited :)
So no on the Memphis, as for D1 being the bottom line for Diamond, what about the D3? and one vote for Eclipse (which I assume also means one for TC)
I'll check out the Arc and Elevation again, you guys like them more than the Eclipse?
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:12 am
by swimmerdude
Nothing against Eclipse... they do make quality products. Elevation is just a more personal company. You actually talk to the owner and he gives you real answers about their products. And Arc is just known to be a high end sq company too.
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:35 am
by Kid Red
I see. The Elevation is cool, but the Arc D4 can go in a .65 cu ft enclosure vs the 1 cu ft for the Elevation. Smaller is better in my situation. I like the Arc at this point, I emailed the website about direct purchasing.
A follow up question would be a small 200w-300w amp to drive the Arc? I saw the Arc 200.2 and that seems cool. However, it's specs- 100x2 @2 ohms, & 200x1 @4 ohms bridged which D4 would I get? The SDV or the D4? And which would be better to run 4ohms or 2ohms on the amp with the Arc sub?
I saw the 200.2 on eBay and they also had a few 10" D4s should going thru Arc directly not work out. (just nervous about eBay)