Page 1 of 3

Help with ported box / 2 12w6v2's

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:55 pm
by suleman36
I currently am running a sealed 12w6v2 for my SQ setup but im really curious to try 2 12w6v2's for a SQL setup. My car is a 99 Ford Crown Victoria.

What do you guys think about this box i ran across online ?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fus ... ct_ID=3638

It doesnt mention what the box is tuned to.

Im thinking about going 34-35hz 4" inner diamater port but im not sure if that is what its tuned to.

I see its 2 cuft per chamber which sounds right for a 12" subwoofer these days.

Now keep in mind that i plan to use my JL 500/1 to power this with which is why i thought of ported for efficiancy etc..

I think this will be fun. Your thoughts ?

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:59 pm
by Bwcad1
ill design one for you for a nominal fee.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:01 pm
by suleman36
Do you have pictures of your work and what suggestions do you have for a ported box ? Do you have referances etc.. Thanks

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:02 pm
by subster87
500 watts on two w6v2s? sql.. screw the box get a bigger amp.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:08 pm
by Bwcad1

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:14 pm
by suleman36
Nice work but im looking for somthing neat with grey or black carpet. JL has specs in the owners manual for 1.5 cuft @ 32hz i believe but im not sure on the freq of the slot port.

I also understand aero ports are a good way to go. Like 4" inner diameter ports.

JL doesnt mention this in the manual so what is your take.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:03 am
by Ryan from Ohio
Image

You dont have enough power for two subs! You wont gain anything.

Take your current sub, toss it in a ported box like the one pictured, and bam... You got about 8 dB more in the SPL department while still sounding good.

Like BIll, I can provide you with plans or I can actually build you a box as pictured.

The box you linked to is a crappy design. If you notice the box has a seperator, but only ONE port. SO what is the seperator really doing? Nothing. If one sub drops out your still in a common chamber coupled by the port. Also them boxes arent known to be made the best- pffft prefab...

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:25 am
by cargodz
^Gotta agree... That groundshaker box is actually about one of the poorest designs I've seen yet for a prefab... You'd be far better off with the amp you have to do as Ryan stated and go with a single... unless you plan on adding another amp to your shopping list.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:11 am
by suleman36
Ok, I will have to find somone that could build a ported box for a single 12w6v2.

2 years ago i had a portex box that was 1.5 cuft @ 32hz and it didnt really have the output i was looking for. What do you guys suggest we tune the port to ?

I was thinking 35hz at most for a SQL daily driver. I listen to mostly rap and dance and some rock.

I have a pioneer 780 with the 13 band EQ and i usually keep my EQ close to flat and somtimes use the 50hz band between 0 and +2 tops.

Sub level to 0 and all bass boosts turned off.

Let me know. Thanks

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:54 am
by broosky333
Try going to the JL Dealer who sold you the subs....if you give them the dimesnions of your trunk, they can call JL and JL will design a box that will comfortably fit your trunk and sound awsome! I have heard 3 set ups that JL has designed the enclosure for....all 3 were with 2 12" W6s all different enclosures made specific for each car and they all sounded phenominal...vut i'd say get a bigger amp also