Page 1 of 3

Any suggestions?

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:35 pm
by silver cobra
My amp went out, lasted a couple months over a year, which is not that impressive to me. Anyways, I need a new amp. I would like something around 1500watts, anyone have a good amp suggestion? I don't do tournaments, just listen to music and turn it way up for fun occasionally.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:36 pm
by joeyc
what resistance do need 1500 watts? meaning 1, 2, 4 ohms...

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:38 pm
by GlassWolf
1500 watts RMS?
what are you driving with that?
how is the electrical system upgraded to handle the current demands?
what's the final load at the amp and do you need 1500x1?
what is your budget?

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:39 pm
by silver cobra
I will be running two Alpine Type R 12" on it, mostly likely wired parallel. The are 4 ohms, I think.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:41 pm
by silver cobra
My old amp was 1500 watts, so the system can handle it, it's in a Toyota 4Runner. I have a fuse on my battery and a Cap. And for budget, uh....under $300

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:45 pm
by GlassWolf
what amp was this?

Type R 12", for a pair if they are 4 ohms each, you'd need 1Kw x 1 @ 2 ohms.
you really don't need a full 1500WRMS, and the difference between 1000 and 1500 watts, audibly is only about 1.3dB
3dB is double the power, and +6-10dB is audibly double the volume, so in short, it's a barely audible difference.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:22 pm
by silver cobra
I was running them on a Hifonics Brutus 1500 watt.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:42 pm
by GlassWolf
those are 1500WRMS @ 16VDC, so actual output is about 1100WRMS in your car.

do you have an upgraded electrical system?
alternator, dedicated battery and isolator? 1/0AWG power and ground lines?

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:15 pm
by joeyc
LOL glass

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:24 pm
by Darthness
and having a fuse on your power line isn't an upgrade

its basically the difference between having a car and possibly not having a car.