Page 1 of 5

So now that Eclipse's quality has officially

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:47 am
by ENVYMYZ
gone down the drain, who makes a comparable headunit when it comes to sound quality?

Im looking to either repair or replace my 8445 with something better. I was looking at the Nakamichi CD500 but the preout voltage seems kind of low when compared to the 8volts im used to.

Can anybody recommend a good replacement? Keep in mind im very critical when it comes to good head units.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:51 am
by two4fifteen
what happened to your current hu?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:52 am
by solacedagony
Some Eclipse carriers may still have 8455's, which is basically a 2005 version of the 8445, I believe.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:54 am
by Scarrell

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:57 am
by ENVYMYZ
lol

Actually I saw your other post asking for a review on this particular HU. It is indeed beautiful and the specs look promising, but I dont think I could bring myself to go back to Pioneer, unless someone can give me a few good reasons why I should.

I've gone from Pioneer, to Panasonic, to Alpine, to Eclipse.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:04 am
by ENVYMYZ
two4fifteen wrote:what happened to your current hu?
I bought it from an ebay car audio dealer. Came in the box, brand new, unopened. Installed it, (keep in mind Ive had previous Eclipse headunits) used it for a month, and the HU would start skipping forward through all the tracks on the cd all by itself. So I switch over to radio and it starts to flip through all the stations on its own. I send it back to the dealer, they tell me that they will send it back to FujitsuTen to get repaired and I wait. I get the unit back, install it, and right off the bat there is a buzzing, clicking sound coming from my speakers. The only way I could get rid of it is if I turned on Circle Surround. This didnt happen the first time when I had the unit so I was a bit perplexed. I use the repaired unit for a week and it starts skipping through the tracks again. Call up the dealer, and they say to send it back and they will replace the unit, all I have to pay is shipping costs.

The problem is, I have a strange suspision that the unit I got was a replacement. It had the metal tabs bolted on both sides and all the plastic caps were on the RCA connectors. When I sent it to them to get repaired I left 2 of the plastic tabs off and I know I didnt have the metal tabs bolted on the sides. Either way, they said it was sent out for repair. Im just starting to get pissed off because this head unit doesnt hold a candle to previous Eclipse HU's. The display is dark and it is literally impossible to see anything in the daytime, even with the brightness turned way up. I was really dissapointed with it. Now I dont know what to do.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:05 am
by brisgreat1
i personally just purchased this HU like a few months ago, no problems encountered what so ever. so much depth as far as tweeking your audio settings, id definitley reccomend this HU, i think sonicelectronix sells it the cheapest.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:06 am
by Scarrell
personally, the Premier HU's are solid, really the only hu's ill go with, mostly because of ease of use.. and i know they are built great.. Eclipse i like.. easy to use, but i dont know if they have stepped up to the mp3 world? Alpine is good, but not so easy to use... Panasonic i have never messed with, i have a couple friends with their higher end hu's and they have had good luck with them, same as the higher end JVC's and Clarions, but i like Premiers, although i do not like how the new ones have them stupid little analog controler things. i have the 670 Premier, and i like it alot.. its nothing special but it does the job well.. although id like to the 860 or 930 or the link i put up walla go, but thats will come later.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:15 am
by brent
I agree with you scarrell. I personally have never owned anything but a pioneer, and never had a problem. My last pioneer purchase was my first premiere. Very easy to use. I am quite supprised about the Eclispe issues mentioned however. I suppose they can't be perfect every time.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:22 am
by cargodz
Myself I've owned about everything mentioned so far except Nakamichi (although they were awesome back in the day) also have had JVC. I presently run Pioneer in one car and Panasonic in the other and have had no problems. Had too many bad experiences with Kenwood to count, but try taking a look back at Pioneer Premier line and then some of the alternatives before you throw the towel in on them completely.