Page 1 of 2

Synthetic Oils

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:09 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
Heres a repost by myself from http://www.bstuff.com:

Im excited to say I am switching over to AMS Oil as of tomorrow in my good car, 200 Olds ALero 3400 @ 76500 miles.

Heres the pricing:

6.95 Quart
16.50 Fileter

Over the span of 25,000 miles heres the total breakdown:

6 Quarts used total $41.70
2 Oil Filters $33

Ok so we got a total of $74.70, $51.25 for current needs (5 Qt 1 filter).

So for every 3,000 miles it costs about $9.34.

Buying regular oil is just more work and more expensive.

Last two times I had my Oil done at a fast lube or Wal Mart.

Wal Mart now got rid of their $16 oil change, so now its the $21+ deals... THe local fast lubes are charging about $18 with a hidden $2-3 "Enviromental Fee"

So lets go with Walmarts old oil change price of $16 for the heck of it... $128... Also 8 FRICKING TIMES OF WAITING...

So before you write off the large initail cost of synthetics take a look over this whole thread and this post again. Not only are they vastly superior, they are CHEAPER in the long run- both time AND money $$$$




_________________________________________________________________

So who all uses Synthetic Oils? I really wish I would of discovered this way sooner. Could of saved a ton of money and time.

:sm29:

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:15 pm
by joeyc
I run mobil 1

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:29 pm
by cargodz
Valvoline Synthetic here.
And if you get a true full synthetic you don't change every 3,000 miles, it's more like every 6-9,000 depending on the oil, driving types, and how you drive. Myself, I pay $45.00 for an oil change (I pay one of the kids to do it, so it would be cheaper to do myself) and change out between 7,500 to 8,500 miles, so I think I'm getting my moneys worth.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:11 pm
by William from NOLA
I just had mine changed the day before yesterday, they used Valvoline. Not sure which though. I must say, it feels better (smoother) than whatever the last oil was in my car. I never knew I'd feel a difference just with oil.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:22 pm
by GlassWolf
mobil one extended life in the Jeep.
seriously, better oil doesn't mean you need to change it less often. It's not the oil breakdown you need to worry about. It's the particulates carried in the oil that wear out the engine.
If you want the engine to last, use extended life 15K mile oil and filters, and get a bypass oil filter for the engine to filter down to 6 micron particulates.

Otherwise don't waste your money.

PS do your own oil changes. screw k-mart car care.
I change oil every 5000-6000 miles using the above advice.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:39 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
This is why I went with AMS Oil.

My great Uncle uses it in his vehicles religously and is a dealer for them (Basicly buys for himself only...). Anyways he told me how it lasts 30K Miles in his vehicles. He pulls a giant Airstream get up all over the country, quite literaly.

Reading the packaging shows AMS reccomends changing the filter at 12,500 and changing out the full oil after 25K.

So thats why I went with it. Cheaper and easier in the long run ;)

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:03 pm
by MobileAudio219
[quote="Ryan from Ohio"]This is why I went with AMS Oil.
My great Uncle uses it in his vehicles religously and is a dealer for them (Basicly buys for himself only...). Anyways he told me how it lasts 30K Miles in his vehicles. He pulls a giant Airstream get up all over the country, quite literaly.
Reading the packaging shows AMS reccomends changing the filter at 12,500 and changing out the full oil after 25K.
So thats why I went with it. Cheaper and easier in the long run ]

I would NEVER run my oil for 30k even with a synthetic oil, especially if it was used for towing...

Also on alot of the older cars with higher milage all switching to synthetic oil is going to do is give you the need to replace your gaskets/seals... Either run it from the begaining or not at all....

I personally run castrol oil with a wix, motorcraft or a/c delco filter.

My uncle runs cheap 'part store' brand oils along with an a/c delco filter in his s10, it has over 220k on his truck and it runs perfect... and it even has the original 2.8... ewww 2.8... but he maintains it well....

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:55 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
In his case he has an auxilary filter also...

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:24 pm
by solacedagony
GlassWolf wrote:mobil one extended life in the Jeep.
seriously, better oil doesn't mean you need to change it less often. It's not the oil breakdown you need to worry about. It's the particulates carried in the oil that wear out the engine.
If you want the engine to last, use extended life 15K mile oil and filters, and get a bypass oil filter for the engine to filter down to 6 micron particulates.
Otherwise don't waste your money.
PS do your own oil changes. screw k-mart car care.
I change oil every 5000-6000 miles using the above advice.
What's a bypass oil filter?

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:26 pm
by NorthQuad
One of my jobs was running a hydro vac. The company bought a brand new Peterbuilt and as soon as they got it to the shop they switched to AMS oil. They wanted to see if AMS oil was the real deal. If so they would swith all the trucks over to save big bucks. Every 5000Km we would fill a small bottle and send it to some lab to have it tested. When I left the company the truck had over 40 000km's and they still hadn't given it a full oil change. It is very risky and I would never do it with my vehicles but I guess the viscosity was holding up fine. If it was posible to absolutely trust AMS oil a person could save a lot of money.