Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Too Much Power?

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
ryboto
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:57 pm

Too Much Power?

Post by ryboto »

I want to power my component speakers with an amp. They're 70W rms, but specs say they can handle a peak power of 210W. Would it be safe to use an amp with an rms output of 140W? How high above rms is it safe to exceed before it damages the speaker?
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Post by CaptainPioneer »

140watts would be ok but it would probably be a good idea not to turn up the gain to high on the amplifier... It all really depends on the amp and speaker... Some speakers can handle more power than the manufacturer suggests and also it can be the reverse. On the Amp side make sure you are going to use a quality amp to drive those speakers or else you will have sq issues.
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
two4fifteen
Senior Member
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:00 am
Location: detroit

Post by two4fifteen »

first, dont worry about that 210w peak rating. peak ratings are practically useless. second, there is no set amount of power that you can exceed on every general speaker. yes, some subs can take well over their rms ratings, but some subs also do quite well with below their rms ratings. components usually do fine with what they recommend, so in your case i would buy a quality amp that puts out 70w rms to each channel.
two4fifteen
Senior Member
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:00 am
Location: detroit

Post by two4fifteen »

first, dont worry about that 210w peak rating. peak ratings are practically useless. second, there is no set amount of power that you can exceed on every general speaker. yes, some subs can take well over their rms ratings, but some subs also do quite well with below their rms ratings. components usually do fine with what they recommend, so in your case i would buy a quality amp that puts out 70w rms to each channel.
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

they can also handle more power if the power is clean.
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
solacedagony
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Contact:

Post by solacedagony »

ryboto wrote:I want to power my component speakers with an amp. They're 70W rms, but specs say they can handle a peak power of 210W. Would it be safe to use an amp with an rms output of 140W? How high above rms is it safe to exceed before it damages the speaker?
If you hear the speakers distorting or you can smell them, that's a pretty good sign to turn the volume down. Remember that tweeters are going to be much more sensitive to distortion and have more chance of blowing from it than a subwoofer. If you have any kind of warranty, your warranty will probably be void if you're using more power than recommended. Just my thoughts! :happy055:
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Post by CaptainPioneer »

good info there i forgot about that... If you are looking to just buy this amp because its a "good deal" im sure that there is a better amp out there to buy... btw im curious what amp is this that pushes 140w per channel?
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
solacedagony
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Contact:

Post by solacedagony »

Also, remember that extra wattage on TAP is good. You don't necessarily have to use it. It gives you headroom and lets the amp run the power that you need without getting anywhere maxing out any of the components in the amp like the power supply.
ryboto
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:57 pm

Post by ryboto »

The amp i'm thinking of getting is a soundstream TRA560.2. I know people only recommend a frontstage, and a sub, but, I was hoping to power two high power speakers(120W rms) as well as the 70W rms components I already have. The TRA560.2 can do 280W rms @ 2 ohms. I know there are higher quality amps, but I've heard some nice things about the Tarantula series, and, I can get the 560.2 for less than $200, waranty and all. It's either this one or the TRA340.2, but with this one, i wont have much power headroom if I want to add the higher power speakers.

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not asking for advice on speakers, or the best way to set them up, I'm just curious about power. If the setup I have in mind ends up sounding like junk, then, I've made my own mistake, and I'm going to learn from it that way. I play a lot with computers, and I've learned the most from making the wrong decisions. But I'd hate to buy something that would fry my speakers.
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Post by CaptainPioneer »

perhaps you would be interested in getting Eclipse instead... its better SQ and Justin has a amp for sale...

Its 100w x 2 and that is some clean power getting at your speakers... I would just run the High power speakers off of that...
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
Post Reply