Two problems - one message
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:59 pm
Alright..
So, I'm setting at home doing nothing, and I get a call from my buddy telling me that his subs that weren't due in until Wednesday, have come in today. He asks me if I have a 12" box that he can use for one of his subs, and remembering an old box I had sitting in the garage, I said yeah, and drove over to his house.
We bolted one of his 12"s inside of this box, and plugged it into his home stereo. Immediately, it sounded like s***. So, I came to the conclusion that maybe it needed a break-in session. (I can't remember where I heard about this from, but anyway...) We put in some song from Bass Mekanix and had it on repeat for about 2 hours, open box, and with about half way stretch. I figured that after 2 hours, it would be good. So, I put it back in the box, and hook it back up to the stereo, and get the same crap.
So, I'm setting there wondering WTF could be going on, when my buddy comes up with the plan to put my system back in my car. (I took it out over a month ago so I could sell the car, but I've pretty much talked myself out of selling it) We bring the subs to my house, and spend hours putting my old system back in my car, and finally get my PPI amp and everything set up, and I hook the sub up to my PPI amp, and it sounds exactly the same. I managed to tune it until it sounded a little bit better, but it still has this terrible "BOING" noise to it when it hits. It's not very loud, but you can hear it.
Now keep in mind, we never did get around to testing the other sub. It may be the same thing, and this may just be because it's a new sub. All of my subs have always been used. I chose this route because it was better for me on my wallet.
On to my second problem...
After he left, I hooked my 2 RE8's up to my PPI amp. Everything sounded nice and clean for a little bit, then I shut off the car for a second to run in and get a soda, came back out, put it into acc. and the bass sounded like... I don't know. Anyway, I pop the trunk, and I see that one of my subs is flexing, and the other one is over flexing. I start messing with settings, and I couldn't get them to stop, so I thought maybe it was the RCA's. I start disconnecting them by unplugging the left channel, and... they went back to normal. Everything was fine, but I was running only the right channel. I plugged the left back in, and they went back to crap. So, I then tried only the left channel, and no right. Worked fine.
So basically, what I'm saying... If I have 1 RCA cable plugged in, it's like having 2 and everything works normal, but when I have both plugged in, it over flexes one of the subs, and they both sound like a hairdryer. It's a weird "whururur"ing sound. I didn't have this problem with my buddy's RE12, but I only had his sub on 1 channel, and not both.
Ideas? Suggestions? I'm completely stumped on what's going on. It appears to me that something is damaged in the PPI amp. I have an Eclipse amp I may try later. If that doesn't do the trick, then I have another set of RCA's I can use, but from the looks of it, I don't think it's the RCA's. I tried L on R, then R on L, then L on L and R on R, and no matter how I configure it, if there's only one plug, it works fine... 2, and it sounds like trash and makes this weird noise.
Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it, and if you need to know anything or have a question for me, let me know, and I'll get back to you ASAP.
So, I'm setting at home doing nothing, and I get a call from my buddy telling me that his subs that weren't due in until Wednesday, have come in today. He asks me if I have a 12" box that he can use for one of his subs, and remembering an old box I had sitting in the garage, I said yeah, and drove over to his house.
We bolted one of his 12"s inside of this box, and plugged it into his home stereo. Immediately, it sounded like s***. So, I came to the conclusion that maybe it needed a break-in session. (I can't remember where I heard about this from, but anyway...) We put in some song from Bass Mekanix and had it on repeat for about 2 hours, open box, and with about half way stretch. I figured that after 2 hours, it would be good. So, I put it back in the box, and hook it back up to the stereo, and get the same crap.
So, I'm setting there wondering WTF could be going on, when my buddy comes up with the plan to put my system back in my car. (I took it out over a month ago so I could sell the car, but I've pretty much talked myself out of selling it) We bring the subs to my house, and spend hours putting my old system back in my car, and finally get my PPI amp and everything set up, and I hook the sub up to my PPI amp, and it sounds exactly the same. I managed to tune it until it sounded a little bit better, but it still has this terrible "BOING" noise to it when it hits. It's not very loud, but you can hear it.
Now keep in mind, we never did get around to testing the other sub. It may be the same thing, and this may just be because it's a new sub. All of my subs have always been used. I chose this route because it was better for me on my wallet.
On to my second problem...
After he left, I hooked my 2 RE8's up to my PPI amp. Everything sounded nice and clean for a little bit, then I shut off the car for a second to run in and get a soda, came back out, put it into acc. and the bass sounded like... I don't know. Anyway, I pop the trunk, and I see that one of my subs is flexing, and the other one is over flexing. I start messing with settings, and I couldn't get them to stop, so I thought maybe it was the RCA's. I start disconnecting them by unplugging the left channel, and... they went back to normal. Everything was fine, but I was running only the right channel. I plugged the left back in, and they went back to crap. So, I then tried only the left channel, and no right. Worked fine.
So basically, what I'm saying... If I have 1 RCA cable plugged in, it's like having 2 and everything works normal, but when I have both plugged in, it over flexes one of the subs, and they both sound like a hairdryer. It's a weird "whururur"ing sound. I didn't have this problem with my buddy's RE12, but I only had his sub on 1 channel, and not both.
Ideas? Suggestions? I'm completely stumped on what's going on. It appears to me that something is damaged in the PPI amp. I have an Eclipse amp I may try later. If that doesn't do the trick, then I have another set of RCA's I can use, but from the looks of it, I don't think it's the RCA's. I tried L on R, then R on L, then L on L and R on R, and no matter how I configure it, if there's only one plug, it works fine... 2, and it sounds like trash and makes this weird noise.
Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it, and if you need to know anything or have a question for me, let me know, and I'll get back to you ASAP.