Page 1 of 1

Subsonic filter and Bass Boost: revisited

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 pm
by sonso_chi
I have included images for all to see.

Firstly, this is particular to Orion amps (I believe). Orion calls their Subsonic Filter a HPF (I know they are the same thing) and their patented bass boost that is "incorporated into the HPF" they call IntelliQ (as laid out physically on the amp and as specifically stated in the owners manual, this IntelliQ is in fact incorporated in the SS filter).

I may be mistaken but it appears you set where to boost at, i.e. you set the SS filter and that is where the intelliQ boost at, depending on how high you boost.

So, I know that bass boost of all kinds are hated. I want to get past that for a moment and see if there is something to Orion's patented approach with 3 simple questions.

Scenerio:
As seen in the scanned images from the owner's manual, they claim that this IntelliQ actually decreases excursion below the tuning frequncy (I know this is the job of the SS filter). In there example of the HPF set to 30Hz, they claim there is, "...more output down to 22Hz. [Also], the excursion below the tuning frequency [is] greatly reduced." PLEASE SEE IMAGE/ ATTACHMENTS.

My two questions:
I know by virtue of even having a bass boost many would presume that Orion is full of it (though every amp seems to have a bass boost), but beyond that; here where they make these particular claims, is there anything to the boost being incorporated into the HPF, or is Orion completely full of it and just re-defining what a SS filter is/does?

Would you completely discourage using this IntelliQ?

Thank you!

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:11 am
by solacedagony
You'll notice the word "boost" in 1.jpg. You're losing a lot of headroom by turning it up. The further up you turn the knob, the more headroom you lose.
If you're really enthralled to try it, go for it. You're just going to boost low frequencies around your HPF.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:22 am
by Ryan from Ohio
0dB and tune to port Frquency, 36 Hz...

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:15 am
by sonso_chi
Cool. So, Orion was simply defining a SS filter in their word usage....

Got it....thanks :thumbsup

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:11 pm
by suleman36
You guys suggest setting any bass boots to 0 for sealed and ported setups and just worrying about the gain and crossovers ?

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:12 pm
by Darthness
bass boost to 0, set gain with a multimeter or oscope if you have one.