Im trying to design a box for a RE SE 12" sub (powered by JL 500/1). Im using both WinISD and http://www.bcae1.com to help me.
I checked RE website and they recommend for a SQL setup.. 1.8cuft ported with 32hz tuning. I input the data of the sub in WinISD and it came up with a 3.429cuft box. I then set the tuning to 32hz and found a better SPL gain overall. I think it will be much better for me to go with the 3.429cuft, I see a 2db gain in the 35hz region. Or if i tune the box to 35hz, the benefits are even better.
Would it be better to go with 1 or 2 round ports?? I was thinking of two 3" ports at about 6.70" length - the vent mach at this is 0.04. Is this good, or will there still be port noise of any kind? Also, what would be an optimal port to buy? I saw a Lightning Audio PNR AeroPort here.. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ufh6m8qvvp ... &I=495PNR4
Would this provide benefits that it claims it does???
Please please, anyone give advice. Is there disadvantages as to making a box too big or tuning too high or low? (other than from what i can see in terms of Gain and SPL in WinISD)
Also, I noticed WinISD and http://www.bcae1.com produce different results for the ports!?! With two 3" ports, WinISD says vent length 8.44, and mach 0.04. http://www.bcae1.com says port length: 8.832", port area: 14.137"sq, port volume 0.072cuft. I also noticed WinISD doesnt calculate speaker displacement from box size volume??
Also, one last question... what would be the optimal setup out of these 2?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/con2000/subssss.JPG
I know this may seem like a lot of questions, but I would greatly appreciate ANY advice. My system is relying on it

