Page 1 of 1
Any good local install shops?
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:39 pm
by evo_from_hell
I am in VA just outside of DC and I am looking for a decent, reputable install shop that will not rip me off or do a half ass job. Thanks for any suggestions.
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:06 am
by Robert Wollenberg
I'd hook you up myself, but I'm in Iraq. Otherwise, I'm normally in Alexandria. I've only visited two shops in the area and wasn't the least bit impressed with either. One down Rt. 1 toward Ft. Belvouir and another across the bridge in PG county. I also found a Tweeter, but again, not a place I'd take my vehicle for work. It's basically just a fancy Circuit City. Are you in a rush? I should be back in about 8 weeks.
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 am
by evo_from_hell
No I'm not in any hurry right now, let me know when you get back though.
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:41 pm
by GlassWolf
I used to work @ Greg Sound & Communication is South Springfield, but I've since heard they went under and some other place took over, which isn't nearly as good as the shop used to be. I've dealt with Sound Solutions in Ffx City right by the court house, but no idea if they're still around or any good now. I haven't been back in ffx county in about 10 years so things have changed too much for me to suggest anything.. sorry.
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:07 am
by Robert Wollenberg
When I get back to Michigan, I'm planning on opening an audio shop. Unfortunately, that's a few years away. There are a few car audio shops there but they're mixed with other businesses and car audio is not the primary income of any of them. They can all put in a stereo, but they sure don't do it very well. And no one up there fiberglasses anything. So I'll be able to lock that market in pretty easily. They're very basic up there and don't really understand the physics behind any of it. I'm not claming to be a GlassWolf or anything, but I have a better understanding than most people I talk to. I love reading your posts btw. Anyway, not only do I want to do car audio, which is my passion, but I'm also getting interested in home speaker design. I don't know if I can make any money with it, but as long as it pays for itself, I'll be happy.
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:08 am
by GlassWolf
talk to geolemon. I know he works quite a bit with home speaker design. I've read a number of his threads on the subject on CAF in the past.
I'm in MI now and I know what you mean, but in a yar or so I'll be leaving here and moving to warmer climates, so by the time you're ready to start a business, I'll be long gone from the bitter cold 8 month winters of MI, thankfully.
I'll be residing in the home of NASCAR, and Richard Clark's Grand National, in NC.
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:07 pm
by Ranger SVO
Airforceyooper wrote: but I'm also getting interested in home speaker design.
For building and designing Home Speakers check out books by Vance Dickason.