Page 1 of 2
Silk or metallic
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:36 pm
by TyHawk
Ive read here that silk tweets have a smooth sound and that metallics are more pearcing.
Im used to pearcing but the idea of smooth is intriguing. Any further education on this would be appreceated.
Recomendations on silk comp systems would also be appreciated. Ive seen the diamond ones but I would like to finds something in a 6.5 and they dont seem to offer one.
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:39 pm
by Jonathan
Can't really generalize. There are smooth metal domes just like there are harsh silks, and vice versa. It all falls down to execution in the design, which we really can't tell you unless you're talking about something we deal with specifically.
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:51 pm
by TyHawk
Well if any of you have recomendations with the comp sets you normally deal in I would like those as well. Ive read the Good bad ugly list. Im trying to narrow down the highly recommended ones. I could pay high but would like pay around $350 for the set. That way I dont have to save as long.
love your quote BTW
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:05 pm
by GlassWolf
if you want to hear what "smooth" sounds like, audition some rainbow or dynaudio components.
Unable to find those? Go to a high end home audio shop and audition some martin-logan ESL panel speakers (like the Odyssey or Ascent models) and you'll get an idea of what a smooth, well blended treble response should be.
The more aggressive tweeters are ok, and sound good for some things, but I find they're moe easily fatiguing on the ears, too.
I can't listen at moderately loud volumes to aggressive tweeters for a 4 hour car trip like I can my Dyns.
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:14 pm
by TyHawk
So Glass, what would I expect to pay for Dynaudio 2 way, 240 GT or a 220 MKII set? Where would you suggest I purchase these? I do see a dealer in Montana but I would like to compare prices.
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:37 pm
by sinister audio
really there is a dealer in montana? i know im the only dealer for DLS in like 6 states so i find that kinda funny.
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:03 am
by GlassWolf
eBay I see the MkII 240 sets go for around $550/set if I recall correctly..
It's been a bit since I looked though.
My system 360 retails for $1200 for their top model 3-way set.
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/
PS DLS is very good too, but I don't recall the characteristics of their tweeters. the ONLY reason I didn't suggest them.
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:55 am
by TyHawk
Looks like there are 2 dealers in Montana, but they are under home audio not car audio.
I notice DLS offers some silk dome tweets as well .
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:48 am
by Jonathan
DLS tweet is very similar to the Dyn in the smoothness category. Dyn tends to do a tad better in lower response, though, I feel the Dyns are a bit better in 2 way fashion. Ok, ok, in 3 ways too, I've stated my bias
Sets are very similar, though. DLS Iridiums were originally built by Morel, who licenses from Dynaudio. Motors are very similar, external 3" voice coil, about the same excursion. Dyns are more laid back overall, very smooth and neutral. DLS has a little more midbass attack, midrange is darker. Tweets of both are pretty similar, though the DLS tweets have a little more "oomph" in upper treble extension while the Dyn tweets do a little better in lower treble extension. Subtle differences, though.
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:19 am
by veggie-man
i saw you wanted some diamond... they do make 6.5 in here they are
http://www.diamondaudio.com/products/in ... e=2&model=
i really have never tried them although i really want to. if anyone has tried these let us know how they sound.