Page 1 of 3

!@#$%^&*

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:06 pm
by JeremyC
Yeah the title nails it. 14+ hours into adjusting the imaging of my mids and I think I have it. So I bring down my girl , and the neighbor so I can get a second ear to check it out.

The nieghbor get in, and slams the crap out of the drivers door, sliding my mid to the end of the screws and totally screwing up the alignment.


!@#$%^&*() @#$%^&*() @#$%^&*() @#$%^&*()_ God I wanted to kill her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now its an hour later, and I still haven't found "the spot" again.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:14 pm
by William from NOLA
ouch.....

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:15 pm
by OnYrMrk
Jeremy, I feel your pain. I have been trying to find the optimum spot for the center channel and just can't get the best image. the voice is just about 3" below the rear view mirror, and about 6" wide. I want about 1" below the rear view and about 3" wide.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:24 pm
by sinister audio
joe i know how you can get your imaging better i can let you borrow a saw you should be able to cut it down then. JK

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:25 pm
by Mithrandir
im glad im not that picky :D

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:54 pm
by Darthness
i thoguht this was one of my threads. lol

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:10 pm
by GlassWolf
I hate when people slam car dors on cars that aren't theirs.

On my dodge, I can close the door with my little finger, with barely a push, and it clicks solidly and seals.. thanks to being a hella heavy door, and aligned on the hinges just right.. but people feel the weight when they open it so they think it has to be slammed to close it.. and it sets my teeth on edge. I tell people right off, "gentle with the doors.. they close easily."

besides, the car has no B pillars.. the front door glass and rear window glass all rolls down, and it's only separated by a chrome strip attached to the rear window's leading edge.. along with the fact that the front door has no top frame.. it's glass to roofline/weatherseal. That means there's nothing supporting the glass if the door is slammed, other than just hitting the car's weather stripping. I keep waiting to see that 40 yar old, narly impossible to replace glass shatter one day, and have an out of body experience as I watch myself kill someone. Good thing I have an entire second set of glass for the car sitting in the garage as a spare set.

Anyday, one trick I've found for messing with positioning is to buy a good mini-tripod like a SLIK mini pro III with a ball style head, and use that with a piece of plywood mounted by the screw plate to hold the speaker.
This lets you set up the tripod near where the speaker belongs, and adjust angles till it's aimed just right. Then you can use an angle finder to record the angle to use for the pod, and/or a laser pointer to mark the position.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:52 pm
by MobileAudio219
GlassWolf wrote:I hate when people slam car dors on cars that aren't theirs.
On my dodge, I can close the door with my little finger, with barely a push, and it clicks solidly and seals.. thanks to being a hella heavy door, and aligned on the hinges just right.. but people feel the weight when they open it so they think it has to be slammed to close it.. and it sets my teeth on edge. I tell people right off, "gentle with the doors.. they close easily."
besides, the car has no B pillars.. the front door glass and rear window glass all rolls down, and it's only separated by a chrome strip attached to the rear window's leading edge.. along with the fact that the front door has no top frame.. it's glass to roofline/weatherseal. That means there's nothing supporting the glass if the door is slammed, other than just hitting the car's weather stripping. I keep waiting to see that 40 yar old, narly impossible to replace glass shatter one day, and have an out of body experience as I watch myself kill someone. Good thing I have an entire second set of glass for the car sitting in the garage as a spare set.
Anyday, one trick I've found for messing with positioning is to buy a good mini-tripod like a SLIK mini pro III with a ball style head, and use that with a piece of plywood mounted by the screw plate to hold the speaker.
This lets you set up the tripod near where the speaker belongs, and adjust angles till it's aimed just right. Then you can use an angle finder to record the angle to use for the pod, and/or a laser pointer to mark the position.
Yet another reason to love you... I'm going to try that!

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:06 pm
by JeremyC
GlassWolf wrote:Anyday, one trick I've found for messing with positioning is to buy a good mini-tripod like a SLIK mini pro III with a ball style head, and use that with a piece of plywood mounted by the screw plate to hold the speaker.
This lets you set up the tripod near where the speaker belongs, and adjust angles till it's aimed just right. Then you can use an angle finder to record the angle to use for the pod, and/or a laser pointer to mark the position.
Interesting idea. Not sure how it would work in my setup, but its worth a try in the future.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:15 pm
by Jonathan
"besides, the car has no B pillars.. the front door glass and rear window glass all rolls down, and it's only separated by a chrome strip attached to the rear window's leading edge.. along with the fact that the front door has no top frame.. it's glass to roofline/weatherseal. That means there's nothing supporting the glass if the door is slammed, other than just hitting the car's weather stripping."

My old Mustangs were the same way, know that feeling when somebody slams it. Of course, Mustang parts are much more plentiful than Charger parts are, it's hard finding parts for older Mopars.