Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Building a new box

Post all your general car audio questions here.
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Building a new box

Post by William from NOLA »

Well, tomorrow I am going to build a new box for competitions. My two conficts are:
A. Build a box to fit behind the third row of seats in my van (largest box possible + large port)
B. Build a huge box to fill up the back (only two rows of seats in)

This box will have a huge port, but I'm not sure what to tune it to (WinISD shows a good gain at 45 hz). I'm aiming for about 6 cubic feet. For USACi, I could go under stock 0-300 with A (above). With the other, I'd be in modified. I'm not sure which route to go. With my old head unit, I hit 137.4 dB in my current box. My new head unit does make my sub a bit louder, so I'm guessing I've got a little over 140 dB.

Do you guys think I could break 150 dB with the right box? I'm going to build a slot ported large box to try to beat this!

I have a Brahma 15" and a JBL 600.1. My current box is 4.5 cubic foot, slot-ported at 30hz.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

It's been raining so I won't be building it today.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
6three6mafia6
Senior Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:00 am

Post by 6three6mafia6 »

damn 150 with one sub, thats a lot, cant help you dont know anything about decibels or compoteting, good luck though.
Dustin from Huntsville
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1656
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by Dustin from Huntsville »

You won't get anywhere near 150 db's with 600 watts. It takes a lot of engineering to hit 150 db's with a single driver.

If you are hitting a legal 137 db's right now, set a goal for 140 and go from there. Find the Fs of your vehicle, build a box tuned to that frequency or slightly below it, and have lots of port area. Then trial and error :P
Post Reply