Page 1 of 1

Unconventional Speaker Alignment?

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:54 am
by JeremyC
As you all have seen in some of my last post, kick panels are a no go in the accord. So I am playing with the angle of the mids, before I relocate the tweets. My plan is to keep the stock look, so I am limited in the direction I can swing the mids without cutting the door panel.

So I came up with a theory. Why not swing the mids in opposite directions?

Right now the drivers side is way off axis to my ears, and the passenger side is on. So it leaves the spacing across the soundstage really close on the driver’s side, and really spread out on the passenger side. Yeah I can correct some of this with time delays, but the spacing problem is still there, and the singers voice seams really wide, (spread across the stage).

So my theory is this.

Why not bring the drivers side aft and up (bringing it more on axis) and the passenger side either forward and down, or forward and up (bringing it more off axis)?

Now, to my second question. Should I do this with the time delays on or off? I plan on having them on once I finish, so I don't really care what the passenger thinks. (Yes my girl can tell a difference, so I will catch some crap for it) I tried it at first, with them off, but I couldn't get it anywhere close. (Before I came up with my new theory) So I am curios if I should do the rest with them on or off?

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:25 am
by William from NOLA
All I can say is try every option.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:49 pm
by JeremyC
Well I think I got it. I went forward and up on both speakers, with the time delay on, and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It still needs some more tweaking, but the seven bells on the IASCA test cd are almost perfect :D .

This was me after I heard it. :sm29: :argh :sm29: :argh :sm29: :argh :sm29: :argh :sm29:

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:00 pm
by joeyc
cool man!!

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:07 pm
by Jonathan
Don't stick to convention, just tweak and tune until you find what something works. Trust your ears, not your eyes. You'd be surprised how dash reflections can benefit in the imaging department.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:06 am
by solacedagony
Where can you order that IASCA test cd from?

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:37 am
by OnYrMrk
Jonathan wrote:Don't stick to convention, just tweak and tune until you find what something works. Trust your ears, not your eyes. You'd be surprised how dash reflections can benefit in the imaging department.

I am a true believer in that...my component set sound amazing. Yes, more tweeking, but as it is right now, it rivals anything I have had in the past.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:38 am
by OnYrMrk
solacedagony wrote:Where can you order that IASCA test cd from?

I believe you have to join IASCA before you can get that test disk. Look on Ebay for one of them, you might be able to find one there.