Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Amp/Power for Shiva?

Post all your general car audio questions here.
rawdog
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:37 pm

Amp/Power for Shiva?

Post by rawdog »

I'm looking into buying a Shiva for Christmas, (I'm pretty much decided on the sub) but I'm trying to weigh cost/benefit for amps. I've been looking at the DEI 750D which would put out 275W at 4 ohms, or for $80 more i could get a 1100D that puts out 425 W. Is 275W enough to power the sub? Would it be worth the $80 to upgrade? I'm kind of a beginner, I know some stuff about car audio and I'm an intelligent guy, but i just don't have any experience. Any help you could send my way would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan
Scarrell
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Carmi, Illinois

ASDx

Post by Scarrell »

look into JBL amps. http://www.sounddomain.com has an excellent sale going on right now for em. the JBL 600.1 would give that sub 300rms at 4ohms, im thinking about getting it for my Adire Tempest. be a nice setup though. you wont go wrong with that Shiva.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

the shiva can take up to 650 watts, but only needs about 350 watts to reach peak output.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Dustin from Huntsville
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1656
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by Dustin from Huntsville »

Majority of people who own a Shiva will throw about 600 watts on 'em.
Warbleed
Junior Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:54 pm
Location: Ames, IA

Post by Warbleed »

The Shiva is a fairly efficient subwoofer. It really doesn't NEED 600 watts at all. Honestly, I'd say anything above 400 watts is generally going to have the majority of it wasted as heat anyway.

They really don't require very much power in any of the recommended enclosures to reach xmax.

You can get very good output from a Shiva with 275w. I don't know that I'd bother paying the extra money just to get a mere 150w power increase. That's only about a 1.5dB increase AT MOST, and that's assuming you don't have any power compression, and at 425w, power compression is likely going to be over 2dB.
Post Reply