Page 1 of 2

head torque

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:36 pm
by smoker
anybody know for sure the torque for head bolts on a 1985 monte ss with the 305 ho in it? i cant find it anywhere on the web so before you yell at me i already looked...........

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:41 am
by GlassWolf
ask on a monte or GM forum, or check for books on rebuilding GM V8s.
you talking just the stock iron heads?

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:24 am
by MobileAudio219
You'll probably want get the torque sequence also...

If I go out to the shop today I'll look in the book...

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:45 pm
by smoker
got it right here...thanks though...

http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/chevy_sb.htm

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:49 pm
by sinister audio
look at those manly tork specs. http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_429-514.htm

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:12 am
by smoker
sinister audio wrote:look at those manly tork specs. http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/ford_429-514.htm

yea i know....im a ford guy and ive never had a chev apart in my life and i had to call a buddy of mine and ask if 65lbs sounded right for head bolts.....he said yea with 17 bolts per head it dont take much.....you should never...never...EVER blow a head gasket on a chev....

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:49 am
by Ryan from Ohio
I need to find the torque for the 3100 V6

I was looking on wwww.60degreev6.com and I think I found it...

Also the intake and plenum torques... wow...

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:56 am
by GlassWolf
heh the aluminum Indy heads on my 440 don't need that much torque to hold them down.. if I put that much tq on them I'd warp the crap out of the aluminum.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:47 pm
by sinister audio
ya i dont know why ford has so high of torque specs. that would suck to over torque those indy heads i hate to see awsome parts get damaged for lack of knowledge.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:40 pm
by smoker
sinister audio wrote:ya i dont know why ford has so high of torque specs. that would suck to over torque those indy heads i hate to see awsome parts get damaged for lack of knowledge.

8 head bolts on a 302/351

17 head bolts on a 305/350