Page 1 of 3

Best Sound Quality Speakers?

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:44 pm
by Vindicate
I'm looking for a top goal to aim for a sound quality vehicle.

Doing alittle searching around, it seems like Focal/DLS/Rainbow are the top Component manufacturers.

Which company makes the best SQ Sub? I heard RE's XXX Sub is a very nice SQ sub, but I'm doubting they have the BEST out there.

I'm just tryen to figure out what speakers I should be aiming for in the next few years.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:01 pm
by Bwcad1
xxx is an sql sub

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:10 pm
by Vindicate
Can you tell me some SQ subs please?

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:16 pm
by Never Too Old
I hear that Comp12 - 12" Single Voice Coil
Subwoofer has excellent SQ
http://www.elevationaudio.com/comp12.htm

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:46 pm
by Justin from Detroit1
The ARC Audio ARC line of subwoofers have absolutely beautiful sound quality, and with a decent price tag, too (around $225 for a 12")

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:31 pm
by audiobass10
Never Too Old wrote:I hear that Comp12 - 12" Single Voice Coil
Subwoofer has excellent SQ
http://www.elevationaudio.com/comp12.htm
It may very well sound nice, but it being an entry level sub i'm sure it's not a top notch SQ woofer. Some other woofers to consider:

Adire Koda, Shiva & Brahma.
RE XXX..while it has plenty of output..you can still set it up for great SQ.
Focal Utopia
AA Atlas
Original Round Kicker Solos.
Image Dynamics IDQ & ID Max
JL W7 And W6v2
Diamond TDX & D6
Dayton DVC, Titantic & High Fidelity

That's all I can think of right now..there's plenty more though.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:43 pm
by racerraul
Vindicate wrote:I'm looking for a top goal to aim for a sound quality vehicle.
Doing alittle searching around, it seems like Focal/DLS/Rainbow are the top Component manufacturers.
Yes... they are also among the top most expensive, & you really don't need to spend that much money to obtain a SQ setup...

Most will agree that running an active setup gives you more control over your system tuning. If you look into RAW drivers, you'll find that you can get top not performing drivers for much less...

Seas, Dayton Referrence, Scan Speak, Peerless, LPG, ETON, Aura & others offer excellent drivers.

http://www.madisound.com is a good place to start.

Installation & tuning skills are a must... you can make anything sound like crap, so don't assume the hefty price tag of some name brands compensate for the lack of ability in system building.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:40 pm
by Jonathan
"Doing alittle searching around, it seems like Focal/DLS/Rainbow are the top Component manufacturers."

In addition to those, add Dynaudio, Morel Elates and Hybrid Ovations, SEAS Lotus Reference, Boston Acoustics Zs, Polk Audio SR6500s, JL Audio ZRs, MB Quart Q series (assuming quality stays the same), there are others I forget about.

Audiobass has a good list of SQ subs going. To those, I'll add the Dynaudio MW190, SEAS Lotus subs, Phase Linear Aliante

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:47 pm
by Vindicate
Ahhh, so I don't hafta spend 800$ for components to get really good SQ? That is very good to hear!

I'm in the learning phase right now in car audio, I don't plan on buying anything spectacular for awhile yet, hopefully in that time I'll be able to learn enuf to tune my system so the end product is very nice sounding.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:37 pm
by audiobass10
Vindicate wrote:Ahhh, so I don't hafta spend 800$ for components to get really good SQ? That is very good to hear!
I'm in the learning phase right now in car audio, I don't plan on buying anything spectacular for awhile yet, hopefully in that time I'll be able to learn enuf to tune my system so the end product is very nice sounding.
Another thing to consider is exactly what you're looking for from your system. I know you say SQ, but have you auditioned any of the higher end speakers in car by chance?

A lot of the big SQ'ers look for a "flat" response, but in reality most people would not be satisfied with even a near flat response. I remember talking to a guy at a local audio shop who was big into SQ. He had some Kef home speakers in his house(fairly high priced) and he said most people would enjoy a $200-300 set of speakers much more than they would appreciate his setup. I'm not a huge SQ guy, just giving you a heads up from my experience. Try and listen to some of the higher end speakers and see what ya like. You'll have a lot better idea of what ya want when it comes time to purchase something.