Page 1 of 2

Do I need rear speakers?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:08 pm
by hannibalsmith
I am thinking about getting some Alpine Type-R SPR-17LS http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/en ... PEAKER.htm speakers to put in the front doors of my Peugeot 206. First question is are these speakers any good? I have heard they are but I was just after a few more opinions.
Secondly, do you think I will need some rear speakers? I was thinking of getting some 5.25inch coaxials for the rear but if the front ones are adequate then I probably won't bother. Any suggestions?? :argh

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 pm
by Justin from Detroit1
A lot of people have no need for rear speakers. A nice set of front speakers, and a nice subwoofer or two in the trunk is usually plenty for most people. I personally do not use rear speakers, but then again I have $900 components in the front. Do yourself a favor, get the components hooked up and installed and give it a listen before you spend money on the rear speakers. You might be happy with just the front speakers.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:37 pm
by racerraul
Amen to that...

However... don't let Justins ability to afford a $900 set deter you into thinking you can't have a good front stage without the need for rear speakers for less...

I don't have $900 worth of speakers up front, even if I include the amps that power my speakers up front I dont quite reach $800... so do as he says & give it a try without rear spakers 1st & see what you think...

I have systems in my two cars & neither has rear speakers...

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:41 pm
by Mithrandir
rear speakers are just to make ur passengers go deaf

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:06 pm
by OnYrMrk
rear speakers do have a usage. My son originally wanted just a car that sounded good...now he says he wants loud. So I put in some coax's in the doors, and in the deck and a pair of subs in the trunk. Damn car is loud, and wouldn't have been nearly as loud if I hadn't put the speakers in the rear. His car is louder than mine, although I have much better tonality and imaging. Also it isn't bass heavy.

if you want loud, and I am not talking sub-loud, rear speaker can make all the difference

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:38 pm
by Mithrandir
yeah, id rather mount coaxials in the trunk so you can hear the music good when you have the trunk open hehehehe

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:05 pm
by Ranger SVO
Personally I can't afford $900 speakers, but I also do NOT run any rear speakers.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:51 pm
by JeremyC
Yeah I perfer the sound of a stereo without rear speakers too. Its funny alot of people say that they want rear speaker till they hear a car without. Then their mind changes pretty quickly.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:53 pm
by OnYrMrk
not to a 16yo boy. He wan't loud...

my car only has 4 speakers up front...(K3P's aren't in yet) but it is plenty loud for me. Just not loud enough for him. Then again he is in a band.

go figure.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:08 pm
by Jonathan
Horns, PA speakers for midrange, and double midbass drivers are the way to go for loud.