Page 1 of 2
JBL 1200.1 + Alpine Type R 15 inch sub??
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:12 am
by doblebo
After less than 24 hours of roaming this forum, my mind is racing and this is what I've come up with (for just the bass). Thank you in advance for your feedback
Alpine Type-R 15 inch dvc sub
pushed by
JBL 1200.1 amp
I want to run the amp mono bridged into the sub wired at a 2 ohm load (advertised 1200 watts ran this way - is that rated at 14.4 volts???)
The box is going to be an issue. I want to use a sealed enclosure with less than 2 feet of air. I want to replace my Audiobahn alum15x + Hifonics Atlantis combo. The alum15x was sounding pretty low and tight in the sealed box I have on hand (but thats about all the positive things I can say about it).
Can the Alpine sub be run with this JBL amp? Can I run 1200 watts (if thats the true output) into this sub in a small sealed enclosure?
Again, thank you!!
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:44 am
by ridr4lif
Glad you are enjoying the forums so far.
I would not recommend using the JBL 1200.1 with a single Type R since they only handle 750RMS.
What you could do is order the dual 2 ohm version and run the voice coils in series, presenting a 4 ohm load on the amplifier. Then the sub will get approx. 600 watts, which should be plenty loud.
Dual 2 ohm version that i found (if its available anymore):
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fus ... ct_ID=2533
edit: There is also a
dual 2 ohm woofer on ebay.
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:19 am
by Bwcad1
its my understanding that the type r's are underated as far as rms power handling but that still is a lot more than i would put through for daily driving... comps ans 3 seconds burps cool no problem. daily driving no! if you have your heart set on that combo do as tedd suggested. or look for another amp. i have an american bass xd1000 amp for sale that does 800watts X 1ohm so if you get the dual 2 ohm coil this would work perfectly.
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:58 pm
by High Society
Or go with a JBLbp 600.1 Is the type R the new or older model. The old model takes 500rms.
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:02 pm
by Darthness
isn't there a video of on realmofexcursion with 2 type-r 15"s with like 1000w each going to them?(but that may be the same guy who modified the type-r's)
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:09 pm
by High Society
Thats Spkrman I believe.
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:13 pm
by Darthness
yeah thats him. that stuff was pretty effin loud eh.
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:17 pm
by High Society
Yes it was, I think he now runs two 12's, and is hitting 152.x or somrthing
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:49 pm
by audiobass10
Bwcad1 wrote:its my understanding that the type r's are underated as far as rms power handling but that still is a lot more than i would put through for daily driving.
The Type R 15 can actually handle 1k daily for a real world number. However, RMS ratings really aren't "real world" ratings anyways. The power handling of any subwoofer will be based mainly off it's enclosure. Now, to answer you question..Would I give the R 1200w in a small sealed enclosure? No. Also I'd go a little larger than 2 cubes for the 15. From what i've heard...the new R's like larger sealed enclosures..the 12 will do well in around 2 cubes sealed and the 15 should do well in 2.5-3.0 cubes. You're not really going to notice a huge difference either way. That amp Bill has would be perfect for you IMO. 800 watts would be great for the 15 in a daily application.
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:12 am
by doblebo
thank you all for the advice. this is a lot food for thought. now i'm kind of stuck wondering if there is a 15" sub that could do with 2 cubes sealed and be pushed with the JBL 1200.1? thanks!