Page 1 of 2

Problems installing HU?

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:09 am
by jmjacks
I am having a problem installing a CD player in my 90 chevy lumina avp van. I have checked the fuses they were blown & I replaced 2 of them. I have tried 2 different stereos that I know work & can't get either 1 to power up.

I'm almost positive that I have the correct wires:

Orange from van to Yellow on HU - Batt/Memory

Yellow from van to Red on HU - Ign/Acc

Black to Black - Ground

How would I test the wires with a multimeter I've never used 1 what should the readings be

What else can I do is there another way to hook up a stereo without the stock wiring.

Someone please help!

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:26 am
by Ryan from Ohio
Buy the >$10 adapter from Walmart?

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:46 am
by Justin from Detroit1
The batt/mem wire should have a power reading at all times, the acc/ign wire will only have power when the key is turned to the run position.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:37 am
by High Society
Orange from van to Yellow on HU - Batt/Memory
Try running a wire a wire straight from the batt to the cd player. I have a 92 chevy S-10. After a while the stock power wire wasn't constant anymore. I dunno why, but try running a wire straight from the batt to the cd player.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:12 am
by ridr4lif
Image

This is a test light. Go get one and test the wires.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:08 pm
by smoker
ridr4lif wrote:Image

This is a test light. Go get one and test the wires.

only use this if you dont have air bags....or are very careful.....i dont have one and havent in years but i have heard horror stories (true or not?) of guys setting of the airbag with one of those things.....

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:15 pm
by ridr4lif
smoker wrote:only use this if you dont have air bags....or are very careful.....i dont have one and havent in years but i have heard horror stories (true or not?) of guys setting of the airbag with one of those things.....
All a test light does is check if there is power running thru a wire. I dont see how it would set off an airbag :confused

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:18 pm
by smoker
well it places a current draw on the line to light the bulb....this is what can supposedly set the air bag off.......

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:20 pm
by sinister audio
i could see how it could if you were poking into the wrong wires. the ones in the yellow wire loom are the bad ones which should be no where near the radio.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:24 pm
by smoker
give this a whirl...i use it when im dealing wiht what youve got.....
no harness that is.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf