serious mid bass suggestions
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:01 pm
I need help fill in the midbass gaps in the jeep. the boston acoustics 6.5" are not able to keep up with the subs or the mid ranges. its not a phasing issue either, they jsut dont have the efficency and lack in that area. (maybe the use of a good 31 band would help raise the levels some? however I dont like the idea of raising that region to level it out like that.
some things that I am after here are, something pretty efficent and able to keep up with higher spl levels while retaining a good sq. needs to be snappy/punchy yet able to move some air and let you know its there, like a driver driven by a bigger motor. (it is amazing on how loud and clean the bostons can get with 220rms on each side!! LOL)
the kind of sound I guess that I am expecting to get is something that is really tight but loud and able to "buzz" things that arent bolted down if that makes sense. its kinda hard exactly to put into words the feeling that I expect a mid bass dirver to yeild. I dont want it muddy by any means hence the snappy tight sound but it needs to be able to move the rear veiw mirror in its pass band, if the subs are not on, by itself. not for an awe factor, jsut cause I like to have tonz of headroom and when its time to "rock out" its not play time in my book, its time to start in with ear plugs. its time to close your eyes and draw pics of the band playing in your head, and you standing in the first row!! LOL
They will be crossed around 80-250ish actively and power isnt a huge issue but am tinking along the lines of 150 rms (more isnt a bad thing but would like to keep it under 200). 4 ohm would be nice instead of the usual 8 ohm found in most high end home theater of pro audio drivers. A flat impedance curve in that range would be ideal but that prolly isnt going to happen LOL. maybe something that will stay in the ball park of the set impedance. (a zobel network could possibly go into effect here )
Depth is somewhat of an issue, but I can always build out on the outside of the door pannel if absoutley necessary, (nothing bigger than 6" though) and if the drivers are worthy of being shown like that. price is limited too but I can save if the drivers are actually what I am after here, but nothing outrageous like above $400 for a pair. that just dosent sit well with me to spend that kind of money on a system that prolly will not see any type of competition cept for my own . also the type of enclosure and abilities to play in either larger sealed or IB. that is ideally what I am after.
I have had some thoughts of switching to a tube amp to help with some of the higher end distortion (at extremly loud volumes) and get the warmer more fufling sound of a tube amp for the front stage. but I am not exactly sure that a good Butler in a 4x4 (that does see off roading time hehe) would hold up, not to mention all of the extreme bass that flows throughout on a regular basis. jsut dosent sound like a good idea to have an expensive amp like that in there and take a chance of runing such a work of art for my enjoyment of jumping on rocks .
If you know of such a driver that exists please clue me in. I would love to hear your thoughts on something that could or would fit this bill. prolly a bunch of useless rants going on here! !LOL. hopefuly someone can decipher this mess and know of a driver that I am after!! LOL and THX to all you have read this and are still willing to help!!
some things that I am after here are, something pretty efficent and able to keep up with higher spl levels while retaining a good sq. needs to be snappy/punchy yet able to move some air and let you know its there, like a driver driven by a bigger motor. (it is amazing on how loud and clean the bostons can get with 220rms on each side!! LOL)
the kind of sound I guess that I am expecting to get is something that is really tight but loud and able to "buzz" things that arent bolted down if that makes sense. its kinda hard exactly to put into words the feeling that I expect a mid bass dirver to yeild. I dont want it muddy by any means hence the snappy tight sound but it needs to be able to move the rear veiw mirror in its pass band, if the subs are not on, by itself. not for an awe factor, jsut cause I like to have tonz of headroom and when its time to "rock out" its not play time in my book, its time to start in with ear plugs. its time to close your eyes and draw pics of the band playing in your head, and you standing in the first row!! LOL
They will be crossed around 80-250ish actively and power isnt a huge issue but am tinking along the lines of 150 rms (more isnt a bad thing but would like to keep it under 200). 4 ohm would be nice instead of the usual 8 ohm found in most high end home theater of pro audio drivers. A flat impedance curve in that range would be ideal but that prolly isnt going to happen LOL. maybe something that will stay in the ball park of the set impedance. (a zobel network could possibly go into effect here )
Depth is somewhat of an issue, but I can always build out on the outside of the door pannel if absoutley necessary, (nothing bigger than 6" though) and if the drivers are worthy of being shown like that. price is limited too but I can save if the drivers are actually what I am after here, but nothing outrageous like above $400 for a pair. that just dosent sit well with me to spend that kind of money on a system that prolly will not see any type of competition cept for my own . also the type of enclosure and abilities to play in either larger sealed or IB. that is ideally what I am after.
I have had some thoughts of switching to a tube amp to help with some of the higher end distortion (at extremly loud volumes) and get the warmer more fufling sound of a tube amp for the front stage. but I am not exactly sure that a good Butler in a 4x4 (that does see off roading time hehe) would hold up, not to mention all of the extreme bass that flows throughout on a regular basis. jsut dosent sound like a good idea to have an expensive amp like that in there and take a chance of runing such a work of art for my enjoyment of jumping on rocks .
If you know of such a driver that exists please clue me in. I would love to hear your thoughts on something that could or would fit this bill. prolly a bunch of useless rants going on here! !LOL. hopefuly someone can decipher this mess and know of a driver that I am after!! LOL and THX to all you have read this and are still willing to help!!