Page 1 of 1

Stock sub and after market radio

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:40 am
by jeffdessler
I have a 2003 expidition eddie bower.. I put i n a Boss audio dvd player/radio. My expo has a stock rear sub and i know it is powered by a amp but evertime i try to hook it up i hear a humming sound come out the speaker. What am i doing wrong and how do i fix it. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Re: Stock sub and after market radio

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:16 pm
by Chris from Washington
jeffdessler wrote:I have a 2003 expidition eddie bower.. I put i n a Boss audio dvd player/radio. My expo has a stock rear sub and i know it is powered by a amp but evertime i try to hook it up i hear a humming sound come out the speaker. What am i doing wrong and how do i fix it. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Do you hear the humming noise all the time, or just when the engine is running? Does any sound come out or just humming?
also, how did you wire it up? The stock amp doesn't have RCA inputs I'm guessing.

Re: Stock sub and after market radio

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:30 pm
by jeffdessler
Chris from Washington wrote:Do you hear the humming noise all the time, or just when the engine is running? Does any sound come out or just humming?
also, how did you wire it up? The stock amp doesn't have RCA inputs I'm guessing.
Hear it only when the engine is running. Your right the stock amp dont have rca. I tryed hooking it up all diffrent ways. Power and ground and what im guessing is where the rca should be i tryed to attach to the rear speaker wires and tryed touching the to the rca coming out the unit. Still same thing. I thought about running its own power from the battery. You think that would work.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Re: Stock sub and after market radio

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:31 pm
by jeffdessler
Chris from Washington wrote:Do you hear the humming noise all the time, or just when the engine is running? Does any sound come out or just humming?
also, how did you wire it up? The stock amp doesn't have RCA inputs I'm guessing.
Oh yeah when i hook it up to the speaker wire i hear music and bass but also the humming.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Re: Stock sub and after market radio

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:39 am
by Chris from Washington
jeffdessler wrote:Hear it only when the engine is running. Your right the stock amp dont have rca. I tryed hooking it up all diffrent ways. Power and ground and what im guessing is where the rca should be i tryed to attach to the rear speaker wires and tryed touching the to the rca coming out the unit. Still same thing. I thought about running its own power from the battery. You think that would work.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Do you get the engine noise only when the amp is on (not connected to the audio output). Or if the amp is on, and you connect the audio signal wires then it starts making the noise.
Trying to troubleshoot when/where the noise in introduced.

Re: Stock sub and after market radio

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:58 am
by jeffdessler
I figured it out.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Re: Stock sub and after market radio

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:27 am
by Chris from Washington
jeffdessler wrote:I figured it out.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
What was the issue? Just so others know if they have the same problem and come across this thread.

Re: Stock sub and after market radio

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:31 am
by jeffdessler
Bad ground and had to splice a rca to the stock wire

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk