Page 1 of 3

What would your dream headunit features be?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 pm
by Chris from Washington
Been thinking about what I want to put in the Camaro lately, and looking at what is out there right now.
Technology in the Car Audio world seems to be stuck in 2005 still, not a whole lot has really changed.

Got me to thinking, what would I love to see in head units.

Here is one idea I would absolutely love to see in a head unit.

Have it run on an actually OS, something like Android. Then give it the ability to either use the bluetooth to tap into your cellphones connection, or make it so the deck could have it's own cell connection (like tablets). Then because it runs on Android, you would have access to the app store. Think about all the cool goodies you could load onto your headunit.

On my phone I use tuneinRadio all the time to listen to radio stations all over the world. Would LOVE to be able to do this in the car, for no additional monthly fee. Be able to have countless presets, and even be able to control the stations via the steering wheel controls.

Google Maps, you could load Google Maps and get nav for free (this is why I think my idea will never happen, manufactures make too much money off the Nav Units)

Developers could start to develop apps just for mobile use in the car.

I know some would say, well we want people watching the road. They can have the same safety precautions they have now with Nav units, where some functions are locked when driving.

I would pay top dollar for a unit like that, so many possibilities of customizing your head unit too. Make it totally unique to your car.

Why has nobody even tried this yet????


So what are your dream features for a head unit.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:02 pm
by Robert Wollenberg

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:31 am
by colemanyoungerinalaska
Android or linux would be pretty sick. i have an older one i dont use much that runs windows mobile or ce i dont remember right now. i can play doom on it and run mspaint has gps you can use those sd wifi cards on it iirc. really i think android would be awesome on one but it must have 4 way crossovers time delay lots of eq. and have built in 3g or 4g no carrier locks or anything so you just get a sim card install it then put in your apn and mms settings. a harddrive or ssd would be nice too

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:19 am
by Bwcad1
Mount a tablet into your dash. Tons of people are doing just that.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 am
by Chris from Washington
Airforceyooper wrote:Something like this? http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/blue ... t-asteroid

Or maybe something more like this ...
http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2011/sou ... genix.html
Good to see that some companies have thought of this, now the bigger players need to step up and do something like this too. I would love to see a Alpine or Pioneer unit come out.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:39 am
by Chris from Washington
Bwcad1 wrote:Mount a tablet into your dash. Tons of people are doing just that.
Ya I've seen people do this, or even carputers, but I want something that is actually meant for the car double din sized.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:40 am
by Chris from Washington
colemanyoungerinalaska wrote:Android or linux would be pretty sick. i have an older one i dont use much that runs windows mobile or ce i dont remember right now. i can play doom on it and run mspaint has gps you can use those sd wifi cards on it iirc. really i think android would be awesome on one but it must have 4 way crossovers time delay lots of eq. and have built in 3g or 4g no carrier locks or anything so you just get a sim card install it then put in your apn and mms settings. a harddrive or ssd would be nice too
yes no carrier locks, 3 and 4G.
I'm glad that there are some companies out there who have thought of doing this, hopefully more models come out from more companies.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:14 am
by Bwcad1
I doubt you will see it. Manufactures are already doing that so the mobile scene wont need to. Car audio is dying and trying to invest hundreds of thousands to produce something like that at a high price point wont work. There just isnt a big enough market for a company to invest that much money into something like that. Fact is we all kind of need to realize this hobby is dead and wont be making a resurgence anytime soon. Disposable income for most people is gone and those that do have it dont want to spend 1500 bucks on a fancy radio.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:45 am
by colemanyoungerinalaska
carputer with a small din sized touchscreen would probably be best. with foobar im pretty sure you can do 8 way crossovers time delay etc with plugins.\
doesnt jensen even make a carputer now

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:13 am
by Chris from Washington
Bwcad1 wrote:dont want to spend 1500 bucks on a fancy radio.
but I do, and I'm the only one that matters!!!!! lol