Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Troubleshooting Cancellation in my 09 Jetta.

Post all your general car audio questions here.
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Troubleshooting Cancellation in my 09 Jetta.

Post by CaptainPioneer »

Hi guys, I finally threw in my LOC last night to get the subs getting source from the stock radio. No problems there... However I am having some serious issues with cancellation in the trunk. I've never had this problem before on my other installs. Here are the specifics... 2 12" Autotek SM12 D4's in a 1.2 cuft sealed box with no wall open chamber. Recommended airspace sealed was .5 cuft sealed per the Autotek website. Subwoofers are downfired with 1.5" of space between the subs and the floor Driven by a Hifonics Brutus 1600w 2ch amp Placement is as far up in the trunk as possible to where the seats fold down. I am thinking I might have to move the subs to the back of the trunk where the lid opens and possibly aim them toward the seats... Any help would be great... Thanks.
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

How do you know your getting cancellation? Whats wrong with it?
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

Also im almost positive they didn't make a 1600w 2 channel Brutus. Whats the model number of the amp you have?
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

I would play with box placement. Try aiming to the back pushed all the way back. Almost always yielded best results for me with sealed boxes.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
scotts1000rr
Senior Member
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:09 am
Location: wheeling,wv

Post by scotts1000rr »

Are they facing back or forwards?
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

scotts1000rr wrote:Are they facing back or forwards?
Subwoofers are downfired with 1.5" of space between the subs and the floor
:surprised
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Post by CaptainPioneer »

Bill,

I am pretty sure I am getting cancellation... Sound is greatly amplified when the trunk is open... when it is closed its night and day...

and yes... they are facing down lol
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

I cant say Ive ever had any luck with firing subs down.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

CaptainPioneer wrote:Bill,

I am pretty sure I am getting cancellation... Sound is greatly amplified when the trunk is open... when it is closed its night and day...

and yes... they are facing down lol
Well what amp do you have first of all. Im willing to be its a mono not 2 channel.

As far as when you close the trunk have you tried opening the windows ? bet you get the same result. Your car is probably just sealed very well much like my Buick. Same thing happens with mine. Crack a window huge bass response close it up gets quiet again. And this is forward firing with a sealed wall so no chance of cancellation.
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Post by CaptainPioneer »

Bill, I stand corrected... it is the monoblock hifonics Brutus 1605D...

Even when I crack the windows down it does not make a huge difference... not like when i have the trunk open...

I will see what I can do with positioning and not down firing... Its too bad since I really wanted this to be a down fire installation.
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
Post Reply