Page 1 of 1
suggestions on a good amp for my sub
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:43 pm
by oilspot
I picked up a jl audio 12w3 4 ohm sub a few months ago. Bought a nice prefabed box for it and have been running it on a less than ideal amp.
I should have some extra funds in about a month or so and would like to pick up a nice amp.
Alot of the "audiophile" grade amps on here are brands that i've never heard of so shopping around is a little on the difficult side. I plan to do some research and reading over the next month but if anybody that's well versed in this has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
I'd like to keep the budget around $300 or maybe lower. If that's not possible then I'd rather just wait tilll I can put aside more.
thanks for your time.
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:07 pm
by MobileAudio219
May I ask about the rest of your system?
Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 pm
by oilspot
okay... heres my car.
http://www.hondacivicwagon.com/bb/viewt ... f=5&t=5150
the head unit right now is a Pioneer DEH-2700 but I may switch it out for this eclipse AV8533.
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... highlight=
The front door speakers are a 5 1/4" alpine. Not sure of the model number (it's on the back of the speaker)
amp powering the fronts is a pioneer gm x374.ht
amp powering the sub is a poineer 520t (for now)
sub is a jl audio 12w3v3 (4 ohm).
power is supplied via a stock alternator. Wiring is via a 4ga from the battery through the firewall. inside the firewall it splits via a splitter block to 8ga. One for the front amp (maybe 2 feet) and the other to the rear (roughly 5 feet). Both amps are grounded to the frame via 4ga wire.
Yeah... pretty ghetto, i know. Looking to build it up over time.
I listen to some hip hop bump type stuff from time to time but more need it to sound well rounded because I listen to a little of everything.
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:02 pm
by oilspot
uhhhh! bump :)
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:58 pm
by ashes2wake
If you could send that wago to Wisconsin that be great! K Thanks! Love your wagovan, wish i could find a clean one around here

As for the amp if u want to stay JL audio they make a mono amp that will push the 500watts that your sub is rated at. I believe its in the Slash series, 500/1v2. Goes for about $400.
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:56 am
by colemanyoungerinalaska
If I reMember correctly the stock alt on my wagovan was 55 amps I'd look into upgrading my electrical a bit b4 getting amplifiers.
Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:00 am
by oilspot
I'm looking into upgrading the alt. since you pointed that out.
But I'm still stumped on an amp. I'm not familiar with the variety of brands of amps/ components people are dealing with on here. Currently I'm looking at jlaudio stuff but man it's not cheap!
any suggestions?