Sub Install Dilemma
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:31 pm
Ok, I need some opinions on which direction to go for my sub install. The amp that i will be using is an old Orion XTREME 400.4 (50w x 4 / 200w x 2 bridged). I've decided to utilize the storage compartment beneath the rear seat of my truck. One option involves cutting some non-structural metal, which i don't mind doing. It will allow for a single 10, and i think the enclosure shape will be better. The second option doesn't require any cutting, but the enclosure size will be a bit small, and i think the shape of the enclosure will not be very optimal.
Here are the two options that i am weighing...
Option 1:
SUB: Single IDQ 10 D4 (bridge front and rear channels of amp to each voice coil)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: custom fiberglass with MDF baffle
ENCLOSURE SIZE: safely estimated 0.7 cu feet (pretty much ideal)
SIMILAR INSTALLS:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/779417
http://picasaweb.google.com/christophertowle/Tundra_Install#
Option 2:
SUBS: Dual ID 8 D2 (bridge front and rear channels and wire in series to vc's of each sub)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: custom fiberglass with MDF baffle
ENCLOSURE SIZE: roughly estimated 0.5-0.6 cu feet (slightly less than recommended)
SIMILAR INSTALLS:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/187597-my-04-limited-dc-install/
What do ya'll think? Option 1 or 2? Which option will sound better in your opinion? louder?
EDIT: I just found another install similar to option 1, where the dude fit TWO 10's! I don't think I will do two 10's, just so i can keep the budget down and invest in one good 10, such as the IDQ10, but at least i know that i can make the enclosure a bit bigger than 0.7 ft^3, which an IDQ10 will probably like. Here's the install: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/159034-how-fit-two-10-subs-06-a/
Here are the two options that i am weighing...
Option 1:
SUB: Single IDQ 10 D4 (bridge front and rear channels of amp to each voice coil)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: custom fiberglass with MDF baffle
ENCLOSURE SIZE: safely estimated 0.7 cu feet (pretty much ideal)
SIMILAR INSTALLS:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/779417
http://picasaweb.google.com/christophertowle/Tundra_Install#
Option 2:
SUBS: Dual ID 8 D2 (bridge front and rear channels and wire in series to vc's of each sub)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: custom fiberglass with MDF baffle
ENCLOSURE SIZE: roughly estimated 0.5-0.6 cu feet (slightly less than recommended)
SIMILAR INSTALLS:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/187597-my-04-limited-dc-install/
What do ya'll think? Option 1 or 2? Which option will sound better in your opinion? louder?
EDIT: I just found another install similar to option 1, where the dude fit TWO 10's! I don't think I will do two 10's, just so i can keep the budget down and invest in one good 10, such as the IDQ10, but at least i know that i can make the enclosure a bit bigger than 0.7 ft^3, which an IDQ10 will probably like. Here's the install: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/159034-how-fit-two-10-subs-06-a/