Page 1 of 2

I need a 15" sub - have 340 watts @ 4 ohms.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:44 pm
by MobileAudio219
Like the title says. I need a 15" sub that'll do well off 340 watts. I prefer one that likes ported boxes.

I just want something fairly cheap because eventually I want to upgrade to upgrade to a pair of higher powered subs.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:19 pm
by Ryan from Ohio

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:11 pm
by MobileAudio219
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Pm me a price when you get a chance.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:45 am
by GlassWolf
with only 340 watts, you may be better off going with a single ported 12" or 10"
A fifteen has more mass to move, and will be harder to control with that small amount of power.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:13 am
by Bwcad1
GlassWolf wrote:with only 340 watts, you may be better off going with a single ported 12" or 10"
A fifteen has more mass to move, and will be harder to control with that small amount of power.
:sm29:

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:10 am
by MobileAudio219
I have the 10" that I had in my old s10 (sounded great and was plenty loud)), but my cousin had it in his durango and it sucked. I thought maybe a single 15" would work in my favor?

What 12" would you recommend?

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:30 am
by Bwcad1
get something efficient just spend some time looking around. Check out Parts express see if you can find something nice.

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:17 am
by GlassWolf
Bwcad1 wrote:get something efficient just spend some time looking around. Check out Parts express see if you can find something nice.

This, although Bill meant to say "sensitive" (efficiency is something else hehe) You want a high sensitivity rated sub. Something in the 90+dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter range if you can swing it.

The more sensitive the sub is, the more output you'll get per watt of power applied. The issue that you may run into though is that by demanding a 15" sub with a high sensitivity, it's probably going to have some weird T/S specs for Fs, BL, and so forth, depending on the motor design used to get that high of a sensitivity.

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 am
by Bwcad1
GlassWolf wrote:This, although Bill meant to say "sensitive" (efficiency is something else hehe) You want a high sensitivity rated sub. Something in the 90+dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter range if you can swing it.
The more sensitive the sub is, the more output you'll get per watt of power applied. The issue that you may run into though is that by demanding a 15" sub with a high sensitivity, it's probably going to have some weird T/S specs for Fs, BL, and so forth, depending on the motor design used to get that high of a sensitivity.
Its close enough for use simpleton's smartass! :tough

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:00 pm
by GlassWolf
I didn't mean to be too fussy about it. It's just a really common mix-up with the two terms. The (mechanical) efficiency for the typical speaker is about 5% (work produced versus power applied) whereas the sensitivity.. well, that's what he wants. It's a shame Cerwin Vega isn't still making those old subs that had a 92dB sens. rating. I liked those things. I used those in my old Festiva with great success.


:teach :words