Page 1 of 2
2004 Malibu Maxx Build questions
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:34 pm
by MalibuMaxx
I was asking around on ecoustics.com forums about a system for my 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx,
from the info given there, I gathered that the best system for this vehicle and my price range ( $1000 max, preferably less)
JL Audion Cleansweep ( Keeping factory head unit)
Audioque 1200D
1 18 inch FI Q
would it be more beneficial to buy the gear and take it to an installer or do it myself, my main issue is that I would like the sub area to look somewhat custom, is there a place i can get plans for boxes, or pay someone to design the layout? also is it recommended to upgrade the electrical when going with a system of this size?
the stock speakers that are in the vehicle currently I am looking to upgrade as well, any recommendations on speakers that will provide good clarity would be appreciated as well
Dimensions of the back, are roughly 38 inches wide, by 32 deep, by 16 high
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:55 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
Well it all starts with what are you after?
SPL
SQ
or a nice even mix?
Judging by the equipment I would venture to guess SPL.
Also is this the hatchback one?
There are numerous people who can design or design build you a box. I do either or as well as BWCAD1. Thats just on this forum. There is plenty of other people looking to build for the money.
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:06 pm
by MalibuMaxx
I guess the best way to do it is describe it in layman's terms.
I am looking for a pretty hard hitting bass, but also I am looking for good clarity with the treble. I am not a fan of the systems that have enough bass to shatter windows, but lose the rest of the music in the process
This Is in fact the Hatchback model, I would be interested in getting in contact with someone that can help me design the setup if possible, can do it online, or I live near Greenville, SC if there is someone on the boards that is within a couple hours of being local
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:53 pm
by Bwcad1
we all can help
If you want to speak with someone specifically pm me
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:46 pm
by MalibuMaxx
will do so as soon as I hit 10 posts :) apparently you must do so before you can pm, unfortunately now i need to try and find some posts where my input will be worth the time it takes to write it :)
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:31 pm
by OnYrMrk
Since you are looking at the Audioque amp, that is just for the Fi 18 I gather, are you planning on using the stock system with the sub added?
if so, you will be completely blow away on how bad it will sound. The Sub will drown out most of the mid's and highs.
My suggestion is tone down the system with a smaller sub, go for a high powered 4 channel subwoofer, and get some decent components for the front stage and then use the rear two channels for the sub. I would think that a nice 12 or 15 will do you justice. Just my .02 cents.
Joe
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 pm
by MalibuMaxx
I am planning on using the stock head unit, it is also the driver information center, but it was my understanding that the JL Audio Cleansweep would give me the performance of a good aftermarket head unit without having to replace the stock one.
the 1 18 inch sub is definitely not sounding like what I want now, I don't want to lose the mids and highs.
I will be replacing the stock system all except the head unit
as far as decent components for the front stage would you mind elaborating a bit?
appreciate it,
Dave
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:52 am
by Ryan from Ohio
Yes I would avoid the 18 also. Thats a huge sub which requires a huge box with an equally huge port.
You might fill that trunk space you have available pretty easy- if its even enough room in the end.
A single good 12 or 15 will be more than plenty for you. Take the 15 if you want more bass heavy.
Like Joe said you will want a good solid front stage.
Does your $1K budget include the front stage or was that sub/amp only money?
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:42 am
by falkenbd
Just a heads up on the cleansweep. It isn't always necessary. Some headunits have a pretty flat response on the speaker level outputs, and you can just use a standard Line output converter.
I put a cleansweep in a car for a buddy. I told him 20 times not to bother buying the thing (I knew the factory headunit had pretty flat response), but he thought it had mystical SQ powers. He bought it, and admitted that he can't tell the difference when he defeats the unEQ on the cleansweep.
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:17 am
by GlassWolf
hey welcome aboard. glad to see ya made it over from eooustics.