Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

What did I do wrong???

All questions related to amplifier installation and troubleshooting.
ENVYMYZ
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:23 pm
Location: Chicago

What did I do wrong???

Post by ENVYMYZ »

Long story short, Alpine 9887 headunit, JL Audio 500/1 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 sub.

Everything was wired and hooked up, radio was put back together in the dash and the only thing left to do was put in the passenger seat (amp is mounted to the floor under the pass. seat.) I tested to make sure everything worked, and it did. Sub hit hard, set everything up and was done. Put the passenger seat back in, button everything up. I put the fuse block fuse (by the battery) back into the holder, I get a small spark (no biggie, happened many times before in with many different sound systems) get back in the car, turn everything on and sub no workie. I pull the seat, and none of the lights light up on the amp. I check the fuse by the battery, perfect condition but I no longer get any spark up there.

What could have possibly happened? The only thing I can assume at this point is that I SOMEHOW blew the amplifier. What do you guys think could be the problem??
User avatar
Chris from Washington
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Washington
Contact:

Post by Chris from Washington »

Did it blow any of the fuses on the amp?
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

get out your multimeter. check power signal, remote, to see what isn't getting to the amp.
cmwilson
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:22 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by cmwilson »

Disconnect everything and try again. Check the ground wire and the remote. The ground plays a bigger part than you'd think, it could be clipping. I had a problem with a remote wire once also, it was on the terminal where it was supposed to be but the amp wouldn't work at all, but when I moved it around it worked. Then check all fuses, amp and inline.
smoker
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:00 am
Location: florence, ky
Contact:

Post by smoker »

might have shorted a wire with one of the seat brackets.
risk650

Goods2010-04-30-fifty-57

Post by risk650 »

aaiklhcvn4t293rzhaiyuanwh[url=http://renfan_698.insanejournal.com]renfan_698[/url]kee1103erm
Post Reply