Page 1 of 36
Sorting the good bad and ugly
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:20 pm
by William from NOLA
Here's my initial sorting job of it. I've put my own opinions in as you may see. If there are any changes, put the category and whatnot. I still think a Questionable could be added for each.
...
(please visit the Good Bad and Ugly list in the FAQ section:
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... d.php?t=32)
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:44 pm
by Mercedesbends69
So how are we going to do this? Is the thread going to be like a suggestion box, someone suggests a brand into a catagory and then it gets Approved/Denied? If so I have a brand or two to be added.
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:50 pm
by William from NOLA
I say just mention it, I did leave several out. I would like this thread to have all of the modifications in it, then we can move the list to the voting booth and whatnot.
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:57 pm
by JeremyC
you forgot boston acoustic in the sub section I would put them in highly recommended, but my experiance was with the older pro series, not the newest stuff.
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:55 am
by GlassWolf
head units:
wouldn't recommend anything kenwood, panasonic, or blaupunkt if you care at all about reliability.
Sony's Moblie ES line of head units from the early 1990s were excellent units, but expensive, and rare.
Amps:
highly recommended-
Harrison Labs
pre-DEI Orion
early 90s RF (punch and power)
PPI Art series
Planet Audio is a take it or leave it thing. some love them, some don't. I'd put those in the "maybe" column. I'd also use a numeric system ranked from levels 1 through 3 or 4 instead of labeling things good or bad. then you'll get less stress about if something "sucks" or not.
Main/component speakers:
highly rec-
infinity kappa perfect
JL ZR component line
Eclipse I'd move to highly rec. they make great components.
on par with anything from infinity at least.
subs:
highly rec-
alpine type R
diamond's subs are very good.
Good-
alpine type S, E, etc under the R's
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:19 am
by William from NOLA
I tried to work around saying "bad" by using "avoid" but do you think I should change "good" to "reliable"?
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:50 am
by armedforglory
under amplifiers, planet audio is under both questionable, and avoid, just lettin ya know!
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:16 pm
by William from NOLA
LOL, must fix... or should I?

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:27 pm
by Justin from Detroit1
I think Planet Audio deserves its own category, even better then the best! :)
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:07 pm
by Fubar
William from NOLA wrote:
Highly Recommended
Rockford Fosgate (Power series)---move to good
Memphis Audio--- move to good
Good
JBL--high end crown series should push this into highly recommended
Questionable
Planet Audio-- atleast good... highly recommended on mypart..how many amps come with the warranty that PA's do?
Avoid
MA Audio---good
Power Acoustik---questionable
Main Speakers
----------------------
Highly Recommended
Infinity (Kappa and Kappa Perfect series)-- kappa to good
Avoid
Planet Audio--i got a 6.5 yellow carbon fiber series to try out once.. and i liked them.. i think they should be questionable
Subwoofers
----------------------
Highly Recommended
Kicker (CompVR series)--good--and where's the L5, L7, solo-x, & comp?
Alpine (Type-R series)---good-- and what about the x? i haven't heard em but they're not listed..
Good
Alpine (Type-S or E series)--type e should go to avoid..
Pioneer--lower models should be avoided
MB Quart--- i'd bump them up
Avoid
Planet Audio- the stroker lookalike is nice.. but everything else is marginal at best..
my "fixes"