Page 1 of 1

Misaligned VC Question

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:15 am
by CaptainPioneer
Ok some of you might remember a while back I traded a Alpine type R 1242D for a Soundstream T4-10 and it had a Misaligned VC..

I was thinking about something.. obviously its rubbing against the vc when it hits... But i was reading about someone who actually just let it rub for a while and it just wore it down till it didnt rub any more...

Since its basically a free sub any suggestions on this?

I was thinking about putting it in my Camry as a temporary sound solution

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:42 am
by Bwcad1
bad idea. rubbing vc's could rub away obviously but your rubbing away the epoxy that holds the coil together and if you rub through one layer of coil the coil is shot. it could also cause enough heat to catch the epoxy on fire. is it a 2 inch or 3 inch VC? got any pics? i maybe able to rebuild it for pretty cheap depending on the size.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:00 pm
by cargodz
I gotta go with Bill on this one as it's waaaay to risky, you're not just talking about possibly messing up a free sub, but risking to much in your car as an extreme case... simplest would be it taking a perfectly good amp with it.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:08 am
by CaptainPioneer
3" VC "Hybrid"

I think after the holidays Bill i might send it out to ya I don't have a pic of it on me but I can take one later.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:21 am
by Bwcad1
i did some checking i can probably rebuild this without a problem.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:41 am
by CaptainPioneer
how much u thinking? I can probably swing it after Christmas

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:04 am
by Bwcad1
Depends on the parts you want 750-2000 wrms. Spider configuration whether or not it requires spacers. typical rebuild is gonna be 100 or so.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:48 am
by CaptainPioneer
Alright well It would be up to you on what you would like to do with it, but really I just want it to stop sounding like crap, thats all. Unless you don't think its worth it and I should just go out and buy something else... Maybe I should save up and buy a Bill Wolf sub instead, then

I'll be riding dirty lol

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:23 pm
by cargodz
Well if he rebuilds it, then you'll have a custom one off Wolfpack Sub.