Page 1 of 2

Amplifier Suggetions/Questions

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:06 pm
by grsti
Hi,

I am new in the car audio and I am looking to get your suggestion in my audio setup. Currently I have the following setup and sounds really bad.

Alpine 9815 HU
COMPONENT SPEAKERS:
Front speakers MB QUARTZ DSE 216 6.5" 50-120W
REAR Speakers MB QUARTZ DSD 213 5.25" 35-90W
SUB: MTX T6124A THUNDER6000A 12" 4OHM / Q Logic Enclosure

AMPLIFIER:
SONY XPLOD XM-5150GSX 880W 5 CHANNEL
Dynamat on the front and rear doors.
1/2 farad capacitor
4 gauge monster cable
The speaker cables are very simple 18 gauge basic Radio Shack cable. (my 1st mistake)
I have installed this system 2 years ago and sounds really bad.

Basically not enough bass and not clear sound at the f+r speakers and not enough bass at the sub. I tried different settings many times but its not helping.

I believe I had to use better cable for the speakers. I think this will make a difference.
Looks like the amplifies its not providing enough power to supply the front, rear and the sub.

I will need your advice. Please correct me on this

I am planning:
-Replace the cable at the speakers? Monster 16 gauge?

-Remove the current amplifier (SONY XPLOD XM-5150GSX 880W 5 CHANNEL) and get 2 new amplifiers like mtx, or alpine.
I heard bad reviews about Sony amplifier and etc.

Which amplifier you are suggesting? Alpine or MTX? :help:

Alpine MRV-F345 for the F+R Speakers and mono Alpine MRP-M350 for the Sub?

or

-MTX Thunder 3404 for the F+R Speakers and MTX Thunder mono MTX Thunder 3401?

-Is anyone suggesting have everything connected on 5 Channel Alpine MRV-F450?
Any other suggestions are welcome.
Your suggestions much will be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:43 pm
by ridr4lif
I would definitely get rid of that Sony amp. Im suprised it lasted this long.
As for the alpine 5 channel, the rms ratings seem kinda low on it. I would probably look into a good 4 channel amp, and a mono amp for your sub.

TEDD

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:05 pm
by grsti
Thanks. Tedd.
2 Amps is the best way to go. :thumbsup
Which amplifier you are suggesting? Alpine or MTX?

Alpine MRV-F345 for the F+R Speakers and mono Alpine MRP-M350 for the Sub?
or
-MTX Thunder 3404 for the F+R Speakers and MTX Thunder mono MTX Thunder 3401?

Any other suggestions are welcome.
Your suggestions much will be appreciated.

Thanks
Stavros

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:10 pm
by ridr4lif
What are the RMS ratings of your speakers? Just so we know what direction to steer you in. Both amps are good quality, so either would be a good choice.

Oh yea...and welcome to the forums. Hope you stick around! :cheers:

TEDD

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:21 pm
by grsti
I have
Front speakers MB QUARTZ DSE 216 6.5" 50-120W
REAR Speakers MB QUARTZ DSD 213 5.25" 35-90W

MTX T6124A THUNDER6000A 12" 4OHM / Q Logic Enclosure 250W

Thanks. :cheers:

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:30 pm
by ridr4lif
For the fronts, thats a good amp.
As for the sub, thats a dual 4 ohm voice coil, right? If so, then you will need to look for a mono amp stable to 2 ohms around 200-250. The amp u were lookin at will give that sub a little too much power.

TEDD

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:40 pm
by grsti
Yes is dual 4 ohm voice coil. How about MTX thunder 2301 150W at 4 ohm?
You think mtx will work better from Alpine amp?

Thanks again

Stavros

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:45 pm
by ridr4lif
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0 ... 315&3=2306

Check that little guy out. Rated for 200 watts at 2 ohms, 12.5 volts. Since your car charges inbetween 13.6 and 14.4 it will put out a little more. Plus JL makes some good stuff. You wont be disappointed.

TEDD

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:48 pm
by grsti
Thanks. I will look for that.

Stavros

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:22 pm
by audiobass10
I've never used Alpine amps, however i've heard they're good budget amps. I own an MTX Thunder 311D and it's been a very solid amp. No complaints. Id reccomend it for someone on a budget. Check out ebay for some refurb amps if you're lookin to get a real good deal on one.