Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

6.5" Driver Component Set ideas needed...

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
Audiophile
Senior Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:15 pm
Location: St. Charles/O'Fallon Misery (missouri)
Contact:

6.5" Driver Component Set ideas needed...

Post by Audiophile »

Alright everyone, so I'm ready to start planning out the system in the G (Click here for more info/pics of car), but I'm not sure what drivers I want to go with for the front stage. Power will come courtesy of a JBL PX300.4. Looking for something with some punchy midrange as I listen to a LOT of alternative rock/grunge/metal. Favorite jam is probably Chevelle--Wonder What's Next. The song titled Comfortable Liar has a sick bass drop for anyone who's curious :thumbsup

Anywho, definitely open to some suggestions.

The JBL will be running 4 speakers faded to the front when rear passengers are not present. Rears will probably consist of some decent co-ax's for rear fill and to please the other 2 doors' passengers. Might be open to powering a sub from the other 2 channels though...
cargodz
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4771
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:21 am
Location: NW Ohio
Contact:

Post by cargodz »

My suggestions would be:
Massive Audio CK6 II
Planet Audio BB65 Pro

Oh, and might I suggest Midbass for the rears :)
-Michael
http://www.teamcargodzinc.com :thumbsup
Hear It, See It, Feel It, Punch It!
And Proud Sponsor of
Team Wolf Pack Audio
Authorized Dealer
Audiophile
Senior Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:15 pm
Location: St. Charles/O'Fallon Misery (missouri)
Contact:

Post by Audiophile »

Planet Audio? Really? I always thought of them as being some junky offbrand...see what I get for thinking? :p I would assume you sell both products? Wanna help out a guy that's been out of the game for quite a while? Ideas for rear midbass drivers?

Midbass for the rears may definately be a viable solution. Anyone know if the PX300.4 will go down to 2 ohms stereo? I googled for specs but all I can find are 4ohm ratings.
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Depends on the amount of $44 you have to spend.

Thats a nice ride, it deserves a nice system.

Look for some Rainbow ;)
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
User avatar
OnYrMrk
Posts: 2864
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by OnYrMrk »

Focal will handle that kind of power too. And their 09 line is looking good
IASCA Certified SQ Judge
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
2010 USACi Spring Break Jam Modified SQ Champion
Moderator for https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841581331183/
CVD Audio Sales and Acquisitions Team
http://www.cvdaudio.com
Audiophile
Senior Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:15 pm
Location: St. Charles/O'Fallon Misery (missouri)
Contact:

Post by Audiophile »

LMAO on the Planet Audio bashing going on.

What do we think of Dynaudio Esotec 3ways?
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

Dynaudio are pretty pricey. If your budget is that high, there are a lot of other options that are probably as good or better.

Scanspeak revelators come to mind.
Audiophile
Senior Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:15 pm
Location: St. Charles/O'Fallon Misery (missouri)
Contact:

Post by Audiophile »

See I'm not real big on assembling my own driver set...mostly because I'm unfamiliar with the process. Where would I find a crossover for the Revelators? From what I've read they appear to be designed as home audio cabinet speakers....
JeremyC
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by JeremyC »

The Dyn set is nice, but the mids are pretty laid back.

Same with the morel elate set.

Focals have a nice punchy mid, but the tweets can be a pain.

Honestly the Seas Lotus would probably be a great set for you.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/cae_ ... index.html

I have done a few cars with seas stuff now, and have been EXTREMITY impressed.
solacedagony
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Contact:

Post by solacedagony »

I enjoyed the Dyns I heard. They were a 3-way but I don't know which one. They were passive with a ton of power.

The Seas Lotus would be a nice set. I remember their new set having 8" mids in a 2-way which is pretty neat.

Are you planning on using a supplied passive or do you have the option of going active?
Post Reply