Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

My Comp VR Is Gunna Blow

Post all your general car audio questions here.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

take the vehicle to another shop and have it looked at.
that's one solution.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

And probably the best one.

Heck if its a quick easy fix the charge will probably be small or none...
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

Thanks for all your help everyone I will run everything flat and see if that will help. I am used to very loud Bass that knocks the wind out of your lungs so mabey I expected a bit more out of this sub. The thing is that it doesn't even shake the mirrors or have any effect on the feeling of your lungs being knocked around. I just expected alot more for the amount I spent on what I though was a high quality stereo system but I guess I was wrong. Mabey I will just blow this sub give it back and demand my money back and buy a different sub else where. I want a sub that I can crank without having to worry that it will blow, I will stick to my rule of running a sub that can definitely handle more Rms than the amp can push. I'm no pro with this stuff but I know enough that I should have just told the guy in the first place to give me what I want or don't do it at all. So that's something I should have done from the start. I will get back to you all and tell you how it works out.
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

Another question, with a KX 600.1 running the Comp VR 400 RMS sub wired at 4ohm will be running 600 RMS into that sub correct?
Fubar
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:00 am

Post by Fubar »

no... the kx amp puts 600 watts out at 2 ohm... u can wire a dual 4 ohm sub to 4 ohm.. ur sub is wired to 2 ohm.. so yes it's getting 600 watts.. maybe change the direction the sub is facing..
BiGD33nS
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 8:25 am

Post by BiGD33nS »

I just read the whole thread and DAMN your outa luck. First of all, when that dipsh!t installed your system at the shop, did he even tested it? It ain't that hard to test a system before the customer or in front of him IMO. Or maybe the amplifier is simply deffective.
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

Isn't 600Rms way too much for a 400Rms sub? Why even install an amp with that much power if you can't turn it up because it is going to kill the sub? I E-mailed Kicker again but that is three e-mails in the last few days since monday and I was very polite and professional in all of them. Man can't I get a straight answer from any of these guys?
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

I haven't really followed this thread that closely, but there are a couple problems that could be a factor in your disapointment. First off, I think there's a good chance there is something wrong with the amp if you're receiving next to no output out of the sub. Those subs should not be blowing instantly with only 600 watts. Even with full gains I would imagine it would take a while to blow that thing with that amount of power. Subs just aren't that easy to blow. I doubt the amp is functioning right. I suggest you bench it to make sure. Second off, your enclosure should absolutely be upgraded if you're looking to get tons of output from that sub. A small sealed enclosure like the one you have is definitely not ideal for what you're wanting out of your setup. I'm gunna suggest you have a shop (not the one you've been going to) make a custom enclosure approx. 3-3.5 cu ft tuned anywhere from 32-40 hz. That should make for a hell of a street beater box and give you all the ouput you want. As far as wanting your lungs to rattle around...well that's just wierd.
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

Thanks for the info audiobass10. I just really thought there was too much power running through the sub because it wants to blow up so easy.
User avatar
lotas
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: WA

Post by lotas »

audiobass10 wrote:I haven't really followed this thread that closely, but there are a couple problems that could be a factor in your disapointment. First off, I think there's a good chance there is something wrong with the amp if you're receiving next to no output out of the sub. Those subs should not be blowing instantly with only 600 watts. Even with full gains I would imagine it would take a while to blow that thing with that amount of power. Subs just aren't that easy to blow. I doubt the amp is functioning right. I suggest you bench it to make sure. Second off, your enclosure should absolutely be upgraded if you're looking to get tons of output from that sub. A small sealed enclosure like the one you have is definitely not ideal for what you're wanting out of your setup. I'm gunna suggest you have a shop (not the one you've been going to) make a custom enclosure approx. 3-3.5 cu ft tuned anywhere from 32-40 hz. That should make for a hell of a street beater box and give you all the ouput you want. As far as wanting your lungs to rattle around...well that's just wierd.
he doesnt have a small sealed box though, i think someone said his box is like 1 cubic ft. over what it should be.

But yeah, I dont think you should worry about whether to go ported or not until you get this setup up and running.

Yeah, thats a good idea, to take the amp to be tested.
Post Reply