Page 8 of 9

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:25 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
Grounds looks good.

Do you have a DMM?

I would of looked for a wire in the ignition harness VS a button. Its probably just supply voltage and if checked with a DMM is like 5-6 Volts.

What car is it again?

I would ask slick94prix if he has an info sheet on it perhaps it could shed some light onto which wire to use.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:53 pm
by Taco Supreme
Ryan from Ohio wrote:I would remove power from the unit, let it sit for 15 minutes then hook it back up.

Manual reset :p
i agree, one of my friends was in my truck messing around with my brand new head-unit about a week ago without me there, and a similar thing happened. it just wouldnt do anything, nothing on the screen....no sound....nothing. so i just pulled it out of the dash, unhooked it all, and hooked it back up...works just like new again.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:58 pm
by cargodz
I'm with Ryan on this one... look for a better acc line

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:23 pm
by brisgreat1
Ok well the nearest solution is the 12 Volt plug... its really far to reach but i realized that i have never used it, like once or twice maybe. so even if i do screw it up... no harm done still... I don't know what DMM is but I think its digital Meter or something.. anyways I don't have a meter. Im gonna try splicing into the 12v plug for my ACC, thanks for the feedback i think it actually helped me in what i need to do

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:31 am
by cargodz
Yes... A DMM is a Digital Multi Meter and you know if you're going to be doing your own installs, you really should have one... Doesn't have to be an expensive one (just has to be digital), and they have em on sale at Harbor Freight Tools all the time and you can pick up for less than $10-15 bucks ;)

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:52 am
by solacedagony
Why didn't you use the DMM yet? lol You could have saved yourself an immense amount of time and effort.

Edit: Also, for the ground, make sure you sand any rust. Rust prevents a solid connection.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:16 am
by brisgreat1
Yeah I intend on sanding that rust away and I might stop up at Lowes or home depot to pick up a DMM. I dont know how to use it though.. is red / yellow wires AC power? and black/ground wire DC power?

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:59 am
by my95z34
lol.

Sorry.


But cars all have DC. House is AC. Just hook up the red lead on the DMM to the red in your wireing harness, and the black to the black in the harness. That will tell you if it's got power. But they have pretty much narrowed it all down that there is no power.

So then you are going to want to touch the read lead on the DMM to the red power wire, and the black to a clean metal spot that is grounded. Something you know goes to the body. That will narrow down the ground. If the first one I said doesnt get power, but touching to a grounded spot on your car does then its a bad ground in your harness.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:13 am
by solacedagony
Also, check your ACC (yellow?) wire while the key is in on or accessory position to see if you're getting 12V there.

All power in the car is DC, except for signal wiring and speaker outputs, which is AC.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:13 am
by brisgreat1
I'd have to guess the ground is ok since theres another ground 6 inches from it, but i wont know till i splice my acc wires which im doing after this poker tourney.