Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Sorting the good bad and ugly

Post all your general car audio questions here.
NaughtyTegRoc
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 3:34 am

Post by NaughtyTegRoc »

Hello guys - I'm going to bring this thread back to life for a minute. I was looking through this thread which seems to have good info, and I especially like how at the beginning everything is broken down - really helps a newbie out! Anyway- I don't see DD listed and I'm wondering where it falls? I'm currently looking for the right speakers for my 98 Integra and there's SOOOO much out there and so little I can go listen to so I'm a bit confused. It looks like I'm going to have to just pick something and hope it sounds kickass.

Thanks guys!
Robin
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Werent you on the caraudioforum.com board? :D

As far as Digital Designs goes they are mainly SPL oriented. Dependant on your musical tastes we can give you a good reccomendation here.

Whats the maximum budget, not like I only want to spend this much- but the absolute maximum. We should be able to find something to fit it nicely.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

yes she's from CAF. I invited her here because I am abandoning that sueless forum and hated to leave a fellow dragracer stuck over there :)

As I recall she's looking for a 6.5" component set for about $180 or under for the speakers. She's got installation handled locally for a set price. She was looking at a few brands like JL XR (too expensive probably but she liked them), DD, CDT CL-61, RE, Focal..
That's what I'd picked up from e-mails and CAF threads, to get everyone caught up.

Robyn, welcom to car audio central. glad ya made it over here.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
NaughtyTegRoc
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 3:34 am

Post by NaughtyTegRoc »

The max budg right now is $300 and I want to get as much bang as possible right now and get more as time goes on. Kiki was so sweet to send me over here and you guys so seem much nicer than on the other board. He's also right on what I'm looking for but I have raised my budget. BTW- I've seen the CDT, DD and JL for well under $200.

*Robin
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Digital Designs: When I think DD I think SPL raw and uncut. SQ is one thing I have yet to hear associated with DD. Couple that up to not having any specs listed and it makes you wonder....

CDT: I have owned CDT in the past. I was pleased with the performance of the Cambria Braxials I had. I reccomend CDT a lot as the quality is excellent and the pricing is fair. Especially when you look into the $150 thezeb.com deals. They wont get utterly loud but they will sound nice for the buck fifty :)

Arc Audio would be another brand to look into a bit. http://www.arcaudio.com

I have run some arc subs and amps and I have found the quality to be excellent.

JL is always a good choice. However everyone and their brother has it so I tend to stay away from them now. I have owned multiple JL subs and setups. They were always excellent and loud, just expensive.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

the best experience i have had with comps are bravox kevlars they are extremly great sq and the diamonds are the kevlars little brother but they have a silk tweeter that sounds really nice and warming, the diamonds would fit your budget but the kevlars will probaly take you over it i would highly reccomend them to anyone with a good ear
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

NTR, are you looking for a very bright, crisp treble response from the tweeters, or do you want something more laid back and smooth in response? That's a big factor in components based on teh type of tweeter used.
DynAudio, Rainbow, and others use silk domes, or other tweeter designs that yield a very flat, smooth response which is great for Jazz, vocals, and all around sound quality if you want something that's accurate and easy on the ears for long periods of listening.
If you want something bright and crisp, whcih many prefer for metal, hard rock, some rap, etc.. you may want to look into something with a Neodymium or metal dome tweeter, like the Infinity Kappa, Kappa Perfect and similar components.
Knowing your tastes in response will help us suggest speakers you'll be happy with.

The XRs can be a bit harsh for treble response unless they're equalized, but I didn't hear the set you auditioned so I don't know how bright the tweeters were on your set. I use DynAudios, which are very smooth, but some people who're used to brighter tweeters think the Dyns sound flat or muted. It's a matter of what you're used to.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Jonathan
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Georgia

Post by Jonathan »

If you could streeeetch the budget to $350 you could go to http://www.acoustic-visions.com and pick up a set of Adire Audio Koda Mk II components, they're backordered for the time being but shouldn't be too long on them. Somewhat similar to the XRs, tweeter is not as bright, it's very smooth and detailed, and the set has stronger midbass performance and excellent performance off axis in typical door installs. There are deals on the net and of course ebay for the CDT HD sets, very good components for the money if you like a smooth, balanced sound. Other than that, though, if you like a brighter sound, the Infinity Kappa Perfects and JL XRs are a good deal for the money spent.
NaughtyTegRoc
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 3:34 am

Post by NaughtyTegRoc »

Well guys- a friend of mine put in a set of JL's he had hanging around and they sound pretty dang good. However, I still need new speakers for the backseat and oddly they still sound pretty good but I know they are stock. Can you get good bass from component speakers (what's in there actually thumps fairly decent) or should I just leave those as is and go for the sub and amp now?
User avatar
lotas
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: WA

Post by lotas »

i have owned both the cl61a and the CDT EF61cfi/25

the EF's are a great step up from the CL's. The CL's are $150 from thezeb.com and you can get the EF's for $200 from djdilliodon (i think his email is [email protected]) but he is a well known CDT dealer, and his forum name is djdilliodon, he's on many caraudio forums. he is authorized, so the product has an authorized warranty, and he has extremeley fair prices. If you are in the $300 range though, you could look into the HD series from CDT.
Post Reply