Page 5 of 6

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:01 am
by Jonathan
I must say, I have to wholeheartedly agree about most competitions of today. That's the problem when you try to put an objective checklist on a subjective subject.

Imaging: Check
Output capability: Check
Install Safety: Check
Creativity: Check

Wait a minute, there isn't a box that asks me if his tweeter sounds like banging trash cans together!!!!!

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:04 am
by Robert Wollenberg
Someone needs to fix that. Come up with a way to fix the problems. Come you guys ... there must be some way of putting the fun back into it.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:12 am
by OnYrMrk
I would like to blind fold a judge so he can't see the speaker placement, the speaker types, the speaker manufacturer. I would like to sit them into the driver's seat, and turn up the volume to a reasonably low level, and let them listen. Have a helper in the passenger seat who writes down what the judge hears. Check the appropriate boxes.

this way the judge isn't swayed by a fancy install, or flashy speaker, but rather he is forced to judge the sound rather than the aforementioned problematic observances

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:14 am
by William from NOLA
I think that would help a lot. There is still that damn "tweeter preference" though. I really don't think you can get around that. Unless you get two judges, one for silk/soft domes and one for metal.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:21 am
by Robert Wollenberg
I know I've always prefered silk. And then you're also limited by the knowledge and experience of the listener. What if he's partially deaf in one ear but doesn't want to tell anybody about it? lol. I say we all just get together, drink some beers, grill some brats and enjoy life. We'll enjoy the stereos on the ride home.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:21 am
by OnYrMrk
Well only the elite judges, ie: Harry Kimura, Scott Buwalda, Mark Eldridge and the like can tell the difference between a metal or soft silk tweeter if they are both set up properly. Most of the judges out there can't tell the difference. I heard the Focal Be Beryllium tweeter the other day...and the guy had it coupled with his DLS Iridium set, and I would have sworn that it was a soft silk domed tweeter. So warm and inviting. So I would suck as a judge I guess.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:27 am
by _gonz_
Airforceyooper wrote:Someone needs to fix that. Come up with a way to fix the problems. Come you guys ... there must be some way of putting the fun back into it.
Its been done...
As far as coming up with an entirely new sanctioning body. Sponsors were obtained, even Toyota of Canada was onboard. After monitoring the "competition scene" ... actual hands-on participation on multiple levels... it was determined that... it's just totally not worth doing.

I think the bottom line is that... the manufacturers have abandoned the whole competition scene. And considering the amount of bullshit, I can't say I blame them... but on that same token, it's like the future has been ruined by the idiots who've come before.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:28 am
by _gonz_
OnYrMrk wrote:Well only the elite judges, ie: Harry Kimura, Scott Buwalda, Mark Eldridge
Hey! I know those guys :cheers: LOL

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:32 am
by Robert Wollenberg
What about abandoning the sanctioned events and just go hometown/local shop showoffs or something like that? I don't know. There must be something.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:35 am
by _gonz_
Jonathan wrote: Imaging: Check
Output capability: Check
Install Safety: Check
Creativity: Check
[/B]
Hang on a minute...

What about a guy like Joe Doe, who did his install himself, over the course of a year, straight blood sweat and tears... his best work to date.

What about Timmy Smith, his first install, ain't pretty but sounds fantastic! He got a little help tuning from the guys at the shop.

Then theres Richard Cranium, paid $30,000 for top shelf equipment and a pro-installer to do a custom job.

Then theres Sly Marvin, he's really sponsored, but don't tell anyone. His brother owns a custom install shop and DLS gave them lots of shit free.

All four of these guys get placed on the same playing field in SQ Rookie class to compete against each other. Fair?





Thats quite close to a real life example, actually.