Page 5 of 6

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:26 pm
by Robert Wollenberg
lol, I worked for cash at a couple shops in Arizona before moving back to Michigan. I specialized in alarms at the time. When I moved back to Michigan I was offered a job at a shop in the U.P. I turned them down at first but they came back at me with a better offer. I found out their lead salesguy threatened to quit if they didn't hire me. I ended up being one of the highest paid installers in the U.P. Averaging about $10/hr then. That wasn't bad for the U.P. I'm sure it's still pretty good. Where in MI are you now? Can you get me a hook up somewhere. :) It's almost overwhelming how out of touch you get with mobile audio after just a couple years. I hooked up a few systems in Texas before heading to Korea but haven't done one since. It's been 2.5 years since I've touched a system other than my own. I should start a group like AA. My name is Robert and it's been 2.5 years since I've installed a stereo. lmao. Anyway ... I need to get back to my issues at hand. What to buy? There's some utopias on Ebay right now at about $600. I put two pair of those in a friends car in Texas. Very nice speaker.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:00 pm
by JeremyC
Airforceyooper wrote: Near as I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong, running the active xover in the Eclipse head means no back speakers and two way in the front only, no three way, right? So, two way sets only.
Yeah if you really want total control over all your speakers your pretty much stuck with 2 ways.

Now you can do the pro mode, with fronts and rears, but then again you loose alot of your control over your front sound stage.

Yeah I am a F16 avionics guy. Been in for just under 5 years and all ready sewed on Staff. Hopefully I can do the same with Tech. Right now I am stationed in Germany, should be back state side, once my 3 years are up here.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:04 pm
by Robert Wollenberg
Cool. I was in Germany back in 91-94 when I was in the Army. I just bought a pair of Focal Utopia 6.5" mids on Ebay. Now I need tweets. Any suggestions. Congrats on staff. I made it first time but missed tech by quite a bit first time through. I got spanked on time in grade/servce. everything else was inline.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:26 am
by racerraul
Nice mids... The Utopia mids were my reference midrange of choice that I compared all others to... You should be able to obtain very strong performance out of them, tuning is key... and patience a virtue ;)

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:53 am
by Justin from Detroit1
You shoulda looked into Rainbow. I have Rainbow Profi 3-Way components in one of my vehicles, and they are quite possible one of the best component speakers I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:59 am
by Robert Wollenberg
I've tried finding info on Rainbow a couple times. They're not easily tracked down on the web. Do you have any links to some literature or anything?

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:15 am
by Justin from Detroit1
Yea, a Google search woulda helped ya out ;) . If you need anything else or more info, I'm a dealer for them.

http://www.rainbow-car-audio.de/

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:47 am
by GlassWolf
I lived in Korea for a few years.. on Youngsan, just inside gate 19.. took a lot of trips to Peong Tek and Osan.
I'm about 2 hours north of grand rapids now.

if you want some absolutely jaw dropping components, look at Rainbow's Platinums.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:03 am
by Robert Wollenberg
Can you buy Rainbow tweets on their own? And if so, in your honest opinion, what would be a good match for the focal mids and how much would they cost? Roughly?

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:05 am
by sinister audio
youll have to talk to justin hes a dealer for them.