Page 4 of 5

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:43 pm
by dynome
well, rear output works great! wish I would have thought of that a long time ago. easy enough to check. Well, what's this mean for me? Is there something amis with the front RCA connections that I could fix? By the way, the rear output on my receiver is a dangling wire connection that is not directly on the back. The front and sub outputs are directly on the back....

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:27 pm
by William from NOLA
Was the sleeve of the rca touching the metal of the chassis of the HU? That is a possibility. (or any other metal for that matter)

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:54 pm
by dynome
It may have been with the added diameter of the rca chord... I'd have to check though.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:22 am
by GlassWolf
cord. :) cord = cable. chord = musical note.

you probably toasted the front pre-out board. all it means is you lost fader ability from front to back speakers off the head unit. that's all.
if all you're using is one set of full range preouts, it doesn't matter if they are F or R ones.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:40 am
by dynome
Well, the front output still worked and sounded great except for that pop. Also, my receiver has some front imaging settings that only work through the front outputs.

haha...ya I'm a bad speller...
I've played violin since I was 10 and piano since I was 8 so seems like I should know what a musical "chord" is ;)

what would have gotten fried then? I can still fade front to rear just fine...

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:40 pm
by GlassWolf
how old is the head unit?
if the popping is only in the front pre-outs, that's what got damaged.
word of advice, taping up RCA connections can save your butt.
If the metal of the RCA connection gets grounded to metal in the car or touches a 12V line behind the dash when all the wiring is mashed back into the console, you can short out the pre-amp portion of the head unit and cause damage to it. Seen it happen many times.

If the unit is uner a year old, just return it for repair under warranty.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:08 pm
by dynome
GlassWolf, what about this?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthrea ... ng+rca%27s

Which way is it? Ground that outer connection or don't?

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:10 am
by GlassWolf
the problem isn't the outer edge grounding, it's that center pin. if that grounds out behind the radio when it's not protected by an RCA cable, or a plastic/rubber plug, that's what kills the head init's circuit board.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:01 pm
by dynome
well, that inner pin definately hasn't touched anything. I am assuming that if I ground the outer part, it will work then...

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:36 pm
by GlassWolf
give it a try!