Page 3 of 4
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:59 pm
by GlassWolf
value + 1G means black book value on the car (devalued appraisal) plus a grand for the mods he had (rims, body kit, stereo, etc)
he got bent over, pretty much.
but as Justin and I both said, he should have had an alarm, a garage, and a policy rider.
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:05 pm
by Chris from Washington
Yep, he does need to be responsible for what he going to get from the insurance company. If he wasn't paying the extra for protection of the property, then he really can't expect them to just pay it off. If you're going to have a car like that, you need to have at least full coverage.
I had full coverage on the Camaro up until I decided to tear it apart. Once I get it all back together again, I'll put full on it again. Better to be safe then sorry.
I really don't understand the rider part tho. I've never had that before, and when the Camaro got broke into a few years ago, my policy covered anything that was bolted down. All I had was full coverage, didn't pay extra for audio equipment or anything like that. Does it just depend on the insurance company?
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:16 pm
by GlassWolf
he stated he had full coverage, at least.. no mention of a rider policy or alarm system however.
as for riders, some insurance companies offer them to cover abnormally expensive modifications to the car or sound system. some cover it automatically, but its best to ask to be sure when taking out the policy, either way.
I also keep full photo documentation of my system, installations, and serial numbers along with receipts.
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:18 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
THis guy doesnt seem to bright:
Him: Hey does my insurance cover my car audio stuff?
Them: Yup
Him: Okay thats all I needed to hear!
-click-
If Im going to put $25K of gear into a car Im gonna make damned sure its safe. $500 alarm,rider, etc...
Idiocy is a poor excuse...
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:37 pm
by joeyc
My insurance is the same as chris said, anything bolted down or "attached" is covered.
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:30 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
Thats what I was told also.
But when you have a $2500 or less car with $25,000 of other things... I mean come on now.
The insurace rate is based off your credit, your car and your driving record, in that order of importancy... (is importancy a word?)
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:49 am
by GlassWolf
not a word, but priority or importance is.
anyway, I'm not sure your credit rating has any bearing on your car insurance rates.
Mine didn't when I got it.
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:31 am
by Chris from Washington
GlassWolf wrote:not a word, but priority or importance is.
anyway, I'm not sure your credit rating has any bearing on your car insurance rates.
Mine didn't when I got it.
I think it depends on which insurance company.
I have Pemco now, and they do a credit check each year, and use that along with your driving record to determin the amount. I've been with them for almost 3 years now, and each year my rate has been going down :)
Once you hit your 3 year mark, and if you have nothing on your record, you're suppose to get a bigger discount. Looking forward to that!!!
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:50 am
by Bwcad1
i have a ryder on my stereo stuff for 20k and it only costs me like 10 bucks a month (i pay my insurance monthly) its well worth it on top of that my insurance doesnt require reciepts i had to do an inventory and picture document everything. then give them values for what i wanted everything to be insured for and they gave me a price.
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:14 pm
by Syris
what is the "ryder" you guys are talking about with insurance?