Page 3 of 5
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:48 pm
by NViejeP
So going to a shop and getting the scratch wet sand will fix the scratch and be cheap? Might just be the trick.
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:27 pm
by NorthQuad
They should be able to tell you the price as soon as they see it.
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:29 pm
by GlassWolf
umm did you bother to look at the pictures of the damage?
he's not going to wet sand that out.
wet sanding uses 1200 grit paper. it feels like news print.
it's just used to take the imperfections out of clearcoat. It's not meant for removing an actual scratch.. especially not that deep.
I also wouldn't trust any place that says they'd wetsand or colorsand an entire car for $200, since you're talking hours of work, and shops run about $65/hour for labor.
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:55 pm
by NViejeP
Damn, glasswolf, do you know an estimate of how much it will cost to get that fixed?
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:03 am
by _gonz_
You confronted the kid who did it and there was no violence?
You are obviously a much less angrier man than I.
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:37 am
by GlassWolf
I found a cheaper solution for ya
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/scratchfix2in1.html
dupli-color scratch-fix two-in-one.
all you need is that color matched kit, and some fine grit sand paper to do wet-sanding.
very easy, and fixes nicks all the way to bare metal.
you build it up with primer, then add color, then clear, and wet sand it down between each step.
all do it yourself.
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:56 pm
by NViejeP
I see. Thanks for all the help guys.
What I think I might do is wait for my friend who claims he can definately get it out with his buffer, if he can get it out, ill pay jhm a little bit, and profit off this guy who keyed my car. If he can't get it out, I'll just go to the shop, and make this guy pay.
Any objections/suggestions?
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:45 pm
by GlassWolf
I'd be fair to the kid.. at least he fessed up and came forward.
that takes guts and some morality in spite of having done the deed in the first place.
rarely would someone come forward in that manner.. especially at that age.
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:49 pm
by NViejeP
He didn't come forward, I thought it was someone else, put a few threats out to the whole freshman class because I knew it was a freshman because of the little messing around we do. And one of his friends told me, and I comfrotned him. Bottomline is that he's wasting my time.. and giving me trouble and burden..
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:43 pm
by NorthQuad
GlassWolf wrote:umm did you bother to look at the pictures of the damage?
he's not going to wet sand that out.
wet sanding uses 1200 grit paper. it feels like news print.
it's just used to take the imperfections out of clearcoat. It's not meant for removing an actual scratch.. especially not that deep.
I also wouldn't trust any place that says they'd wetsand or colorsand an entire car for $200, since you're talking hours of work, and shops run about $65/hour for labor.
Well, I did happen to
bother myself for a moment and had a look at the picture he posted. Since it is just a picture and not the actual car in front of me I could only use my best judgement and say that scratch isn't through the paint. It looks to me like the flash from his camera made the scratch look a lot worse then it is. Then again I've never seen a scratch in my life because I have magical paint. I guess I shouldn't have even
bothered to try and help.