Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Popping sound and hiss

All questions related to amplifier installation and troubleshooting.
dynome
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Waverly, Iowa

Post by dynome »

I just went out and checked it out.

1st- I connected a different RCA cable to HU and amp. Same popping.
2nd- I dissconnected RCA from HU and plugged in MP3 player to RCA to amp and no noise. Also noticed no popping in rear unamped fill speakers.
3rd- started car and ran with MP3 player plugged in and no hiss or anything.

I think what I did was put my RCA's to close to that under dash fuse box. If I rerun it so it's further away, and also take the extra coils out, I think the hiss "should" be gone....as for the popping...

So, narrowed it down to HU. This is a Premier receiver. It has 6.5 V preouts. It's supposed to be a step above Pioneer... I'm thinking it has to be the ground because I've heard this same receiver in a the previous car it was in and like I said, it sounded great.

I've upgraded the ground from battery to chassis already with 4 awg and left stock ground connected as well.

For those who don't want to reread everything:
I hear a "pop" when turn volume up 1 from being all the way down, when I change radio stations, or when I change equilizer setting.
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

jonathan wrote:In addition to that, I've seen a lot of Pioneer units that fail to ground at the RCAs. Take a wire and connect it between ground and the RCAs (will be the shield of the RCA, which is the outside part). I've seen a lot of Pioneers do that and it sounds like exactly the problem you're having.
Wait, I always thought preamp outputs were AC current? Are they not?

Google would be my friend here, but Google isn't helping.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Jonathan
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Georgia

Post by Jonathan »

William from NOLA wrote:Wait, I always thought preamp outputs were AC current? Are they not?
Google would be my friend here, but Google isn't helping.
It is AC, but it uses chassis ground as a reference.

With an unbalanced RCA, the signal is carried through the center conductor, while the shield is grounded.

A balanced, on the other hand, the shield will have a mirrored signal compared to that of the center conductor.

HUs like the Pioneers have unbalanced RCA outs, and I've seen the units (mainly the cheaper ones) fail at properly grounding the RCAs-resulting in a lot of electrical noise.

Bcae has a page on it with pictures, for reference:
http://www.bcae1.com/ballndrv.htm
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

Hurray! I learned something today! I had assumed they ran off the same principle as speaker terminals and AC current. I may be doing some ground work in the future :)
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
dynome
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Waverly, Iowa

Post by dynome »

well, it has a sub and also a rear preamp output. if it does the same thing with the rear output... hmm

Also, has anyone ever done this...not to say I would but I was reading the manual and was just curious... It says in the manual and I found the setting on the receiver that you can change to bridge the rear 2 channels for a 80x1 at 2 ohms. Would this be enough to power a small 6.5 sub such as this one:

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid ... cs&cur=USD
Jonathan
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Georgia

Post by Jonathan »

It doesn't have to do it with all RCA outputs. It could only affect one output. In fact, if it were another problem (like that fusebox), it would be more likely to affect all outputs than just one or two.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

HAY MABE IT'S THREE PHASE!!11!!11!!

(grin)

sorry, Jonathan will catch that one.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Jonathan
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Georgia

Post by Jonathan »

LMAO

Did he plug it in backwards?
Darthness
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Post by Darthness »

Justin from Detroit wrote:Pioneers seem to be the cause of noise for a lot of people. My AVIc-N1 is terrible. You can hear the CD start spinning, you can hear the laser moving inside and everything....
i get the same thing... just thought i'd mention i have a 560mp.
Image
- Keith
dynome
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Waverly, Iowa

Post by dynome »

well when I plugged in the diff RCA, I ran the chord right out of the dash and straight to the amp without going by the fusebox or power wire or anything with the same problem... I'll go check the rear output real quick....
Post Reply