Page 3 of 5
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:03 pm
by racerraul
Airforceyooper wrote:But you can have multiple tweets advertising similar frequency responce, power handling, material type and construction, etc. But they sure don't sound the same.
Indeed... which is why I provided some links with objective reviews from a source that actually tests & measures drivers. I highly recommend you go over to DIYmobileaudio.com and ask questions since RAW drivers is the topic of high interest...
Anyway, my point is, it's been difficult for me to come to grips with spending $40 on a tweet to match up with, lets say, $250 mid. You see where I'm coming from? Iv'e been too out of touch with things over the years to feel comfortable going off old intuition. That's why I'm reaching out to this board.
And you are indeed on the right track... One thing I want to make clear to you is the irrelevance of RAW speaker costs vs. car audio preassembled components... In considering the $40 tweeter I recommended you are buying a RAW driver that is often used by Car Audio & Home Audio brands... They buy it in quantities for less than we get them direct, then sell it to us with their logo stamped on it for $80 & now you are looking at a $160 x-Brand tweeters...
In the DIY world a $40 is actually a competitive price point... MAX FI, Vifa, Morel & Peerless also have tweeters that range from $20-$60 for example... then you have more expensive alternatives as well.
The thing is why be willing to pay the price without knowing why it is that expensive? Better yet without even having heard it... Fact of the matter is I can name quite a few expensive drivers but I have not used them, & since I haven't I don't assume they sound good & start recommending them... This happens quite a bit in the Car Audio market...
If you shop around you can buy Utopia 8ohm mids RAW for less than a new pair of Mobile Utopias that are 4ohm... Worried about the 8ohm impedance? Well it really isn't a problem... here is a good read on the subject...
https://secure26.hostgator.com/~npdang/ ... d.php?t=31
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:40 pm
by GlassWolf
"But you can have multiple tweets advertising similar frequency responce, power handling, material type and construction, etc. But they sure don't sound the same."
that's called timbre.
(pronounced |tam'-br|)
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:45 pm
by sinister audio
leave it up to kiki to say these crazy words that half of use dont even know what in the hell hes talking about but ill have to give it to him for putting down how its pronounced.
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:40 pm
by Robert Wollenberg
Taken to school again. Thanks for the lesson Kiki. Always a pleasure. :) I'll have to jump over to the other site for a while and see what I can pick up there. Thanks again.
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:23 am
by GlassWolf
you'll hear timbre a lot more in home theater talk.. matching timbre of speakers so they all sound alike etc..
in simple terms, it's how you describe the personality of a speaker.. since not all "6" midranges" sound identical.
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:08 am
by Robert Wollenberg
Would that be where the matched speakers comes in? Like paradigms and others? I have Klipsch all around and love them. Not matched, but sound awesome anyway. One day I'll get the Bang&Olfsen Beolabs. At $18k a pair I'll have to save a little while.
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:31 am
by GlassWolf
no offense intended, but honestly, Klipsch is "ok" (very middle of the road in performance and not my taste in the sound they produce) and B&O is total yuppie crap. For 18 grand I'd buy MartinLogans instead. Far, far better speakers for the money.. yes though, when they talk about matched speakers, they're all matched in output and timbre. It's one of the specs for THX qualification in a home theater speaker system.
With klipsch, some people love em, some hate em. I'm just not a real big fan of their stuff. I think in the same price range, B&W makes a much better speaker.
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:46 am
by Robert Wollenberg
I had B&W originally when I got into home audio back in 1992 when I got to Germany. That's where I bought my B&Ws. I really liked them but I kept having problems with them. Somewhere along the line I started listening to Klipsch and have stuck with them ever since. I have to admit, I love my home audio and surround sytem, but my knowledge in that area is pretty limited. I used to have Yamaha equipment and now run Denon. I guess I'm not that much of an enthusiast after all.

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:49 am
by Robert Wollenberg
I just checked out the MartinLogan website ... wow.
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:59 am
by racerraul
KikiTheCat wrote:no offense intended, but honestly, Klipsch is "ok" (very middle of the road in performance and not my taste in the sound they produce) and B&O is total yuppie crap. For 18 grand I'd buy MartinLogans instead. Far, far better speakers for the money.. yes though, when they talk about matched speakers, they're all matched in output and timbre. It's one of the specs for THX qualification in a home theater speaker system.
With klipsch, some people love em, some hate em. I'm just not a real big fan of their stuff. I think in the same price range, B&W makes a much better speaker.
I didn't want to say anything earlier... but since Kiki took the liberty... :)
I agree Kiki...
Those B&O might as well be called BOSE... all the costs of a high end product without the sound quality for comparable units in the same price range...
Honestly, IMO... I listen to Electrostats every time I get a chance @ tweeter SA... Nothing compares to them...