Justin from Detroit wrote:That's right, the XXX's are over-rated. Yes, I said it. On a board where every single "what sub should I get?" post immediately gets answered with "RE", I said it. Your precisious XXX's are over-rated, improperly labeled subwoofers.
you don't quite understand the specs, or the design of the XXX to be anywhere near qualified to make that statement... read on..
because xmax is a bullshit rating.
you don't understand it... read on
xbl2 is using 2 small voice coils and having two magnetic gaps, one at the
the top plate and one at the bottom plate
buzzer... 100% wrong... woofers using XBl^2 topology have 1 voice coil.. not 2... 1... using a split gap, via a notched Topplate and Pole..
since BL is simply flux times wire lenght immersed in it, its easy to see how this cofiguration yields a flat Bl curve...
oh wait... lemme explain it better for you...
if you have 40 feet of wire immersed in each gap (80 feet total), and you begin to move the coil forward, you lose wire in the bottom gap, yet gain it back in the top gap... say 50 feet and 30 feet, then you continue forward until the entire 80 feet of wire is immersed into gap 1... still the same amount of wire as it was at rest.... still the same BL spec...
since BL related distortion accounts for a BIG portion of the driver based distortion (Cms is the other big piece) you can see why flat BL is good...
wait... Cms = suspension :)
the theory is that you have use
smaller coils to have more effieciency, however, i feel that it has a lot of unsolved issues with out of the gap movement! this is why I believe the 32mm xmax rating is wayyy too high!
you don't understand how efficiency works.... do you :) think harder and get back to me...
The same motor structure is being used on Orion H2 subwoofers, and how many of them do you see at SPL competitions??
sorry.. its not.... orion uses a cheap knock off of what Adire came up with, and its a completely different, and much worse design...
while testing loudness holds value, you're proving basically nothing by doing a swap in and out and just testing output.... other than if that customer wants to drive around listening to that specific frequency, one driver is louder than the other...
however, the XXX will have FAR less distortion, at any output level, and that's important to non-spl competitors.... unless you like listening to crap... and you may...
btw.. Xmax is the LINEAR amount of one way travel a driver has....
its defined as "the shorter of the Xmag and Xsus values, in each direction of cone travel."
now since I doubt you know what xmag and xsus are....
xmag = linear travel of the coil to the point where BL has dropped to 70% of its at rest value...
xsus = the point at which the compliance of the suspension has dropped to 25% of the value at the cone's rest position...
as stated before, the XXX has a dumax verified xmax spec... if you don't know what dumax is, I suggest a short across town trip to DLC, and let Mr. Clark teach you...
and I bet if you were an RE dealer, you'd be singing the "this other woofer is crap song" because you're in it for the money, and considering the outreagous markup on your drivers.... well.... I can see why.... :)
fyi, I have a box design here that ultilizes 1 RE 8, with 400 watts, that's 1.2 db louder than any 12" driver in a basic 2.5 cuft ported box, with a 35hz tuning.. does that mean those 12" drivers are junk? nope... just proves if you wanna build a box that'll fart a high number, you can.... but you'd be a complete moron to drive around listening to that 8.... its louder at one frequency, and thats it... and it sounds like crap doing it..
and finally, since I think you're in severe knowledge lack about motor topologies... I have a post I made that'll help you out..
http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4654
toodles
Loyd L.